Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: A Solution to Deforestation?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,371
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default A Solution to Deforestation?

    The speaker in the talk is fairly boring initially but its well worth sticking through to the end.



    Potential world changer?

  2. #2
    Moderator Munnkeyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In a tree.
    Posts
    7,327
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Default

    Is the answer more trees?

    The speaker in the talk is fairly boring initially
    You're not really selling it very well.
    Flash a-ah - King of the impossible

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member mido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Republic Of Connaught 1798
    Posts
    3,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    haven't watched it but if it doesn't involve icebergs-desalinations plants i'd be surprised....
    Pity the nation divided into into fragments, each fragment deeming itself a nation - Khalil Gibran

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,371
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Munnkeyman View Post
    Is the answer more trees?



    You're not really selling it very well.
    More livestock. Watch it for the finer details and results of implementation. Should be of huge interest to Australia and Africa to name a few. Has the potential to reduce global warming substantially and provide arable land in barren areas. Sold?

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member gracethepirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20,936
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Default

    Australia does have its own native grazers, the kangaroos, but they don't seem to have stopped the desertification of Australia. Perhaps they were hampered by the Aboriginal method of burning off things they considered unnecessary, which is why Australia is mostly eucalyptus forest now, where there is forest.

    The kangaroos are sometimes a nuisance in that they like the well-watered green pastures intended for sheep.

    I guess if kangaroos are cooped up into very large herds maybe they'll cause the same effect.

    It's remarkable how well the speaker's projects have worked though. A green Gobi Desert would be fabulous as well as a really green Australia, though I don't know how grass and livestock will cope with 50ºC temperatures.

    BTW I watched the whole movie.
    Last edited by gracethepirate; 6th March 2013 at 12:52 AM.
    Brexit comes straight from hell. Everywhere it goes it causes disharmony, turbulence and misery. I think Brexiteers themselves must have some form of mental illness.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sking81 View Post
    The speaker in the talk is fairly boring initially but its well worth sticking through to the end.



    Potential world changer?
    Very interesting video, thanks for posting this.

    This is the science that makes sense, increasing production while stopping desertification.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,371
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gracethepirate View Post
    Australia does have its own native grazers, the kangaroos, but they don't seem to have stopped the desertification of Australia. Perhaps they were hampered by the Aboriginal method of burning off things they considered unnecessary, which is why Australia is mostly eucalyptus forest now, where there is forest.

    The kangaroos are sometimes a nuisance in that they like the well-watered green pastures intended for sheep.



    I guess if kangaroos are cooped up into very large herds maybe they'll cause the same effect.

    It's remarkable how well the speaker's projects have worked though. A green Gobi Desert would be fabulous as well as a really green Australia, though I don't know how grass and livestock will cope with 50ºC temperatures.
    Your probably right about the Aborigines in Australia. It'd be interesting to find out how many of the worlds deserts were mad made over the centuries from overuse and mismanagement. Its still a huge, growing problem-

    Environment: Scientists Raise Alarm As Man-Made Deserts Spread

    Im not so sure on which animals are best for what scenario-I'd imagine it would be better to stick to local species if at all possible. As for the grass and animals survival rates, again its hard to gauge but I think the restorative effect would grow as each year\cycle passes.

  8. #8

    Default

    What about the methane from the Cows, does he mention that?


    I could not finish the video he was too boring also his powerpoint demo graphics was Meh , TED talks are usually all about fancy powerpoint demos and exiting humorous scientists and entertainment.
    If i was him I would keep quiet about moving "drum beating people" to make way for national parks and also his part in the great elephant kull

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Twin Towers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Could the OP explain the mans solution without people having to sit through 22:20 of video?

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,371
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twin Towers View Post
    Could the OP explain the mans solution without people having to sit through 22:20 of video?
    No. Skip to 14 mins, you'll have the idea by 18. Thats about 4 minutes. If someones got a good solution to a problem, its best to hear it straight from the horses mouth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •