Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Gardai finally getting proactive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gardai finally getting proactive

I was impressed to read in today's independent that the Gardai are finally using some cop on and getting proactive.

Sharp reduction in break-ins as crime patterns cracked - Independent.ie

"A DETAILED analysis by gardai of criminal patterns over the past five years has resulted in a significant drop in burglaries in less than 12 months.

The study became the gardai's secret weapon as they set out to tackle the soaring rate of burglaries nationwide.

By examining patterns that indicated what areas the prolific offenders favoured targeting, and when they were most likely to strike, garda patrols were ready to pounce when the burglars arrived."

How about some more proactive activity such as using Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) to identify suspect cars on the road as local Gardai will not always be able to identify cars used by travelling criminals. I saw a documentary once where a rural English police force simply parked a car out side a village and every time a car listed as suspect on their database passed an alert sounded.

Automatic number plate recognition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Gardai have been using ANPR in Ireland for half a decade now at least, its rollout was finalized back in 2010.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Didn't they hire a number of Crime Analyst roles a few years back? We'll probably see more and more benefits from this position being used.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The best thing the Gardai could realise is that there's more benefit paying a math whiz just out of college to work on statistical patterns than there is paying 3 Gardai just out of Tipp. You wouldn't need a huge number of them, just a few guys who know how to crunch numbers.

BTW: "Soaring burglaries" Really? It's up 10% from a very low number.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    The Gardai have been using ANPR in Ireland for half a decade now at least, its rollout was finalized back in 2010.
    Thanks,

I didn't know that.

Are many cars so equipped ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Proper policing nowadays means using latest technology available. Not keeping useless garda stations in rural areas open, or going around in a marked patrol car

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by williewatch View Post
    Thanks,

I didn't know that.

Are many cars so equipped ?
    I think the entire Traffic Corps fleet has been fitted out, but other vehicles are also using the system. I am not sure as to what extent ANPR is deployed on the road network, but it is in operation on the M50.

EDIT: - Garda - Automatic Number Plate Recognition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin Coir View Post
    Proper policing nowadays means using latest technology available. Not keeping useless garda stations in rural areas open, or going around in a marked patrol car
    I agree 100%.

This Garda station closure panic is a lot of nonsense being whipped up by FF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin Coir View Post
    There's a lot to be said for the rural Garda station, but only where the guard is part of the community. Not many people will go into the local big town Garda station to pass on some potentially useful information, because they'll not be arsed and not that welcome, plus it'll make a federal case out of a potentially easily defused situation. Prevention is better than cure.