Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DPP's confidential review of Ian Bailey investigation published on the internet. Unprecedented.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default DPP's confidential review of Ian Bailey investigation published on the internet. Unprecedented.

Family upset by publication of case review - The Irish Times - Mon, Mar 04, 2013
    The family of murdered French film producer Sophie Toscan du Plantier have expressed their shock and upset that a confidential review of the case by the Director of Public Prosecutions has been published on the internet.
    “Sophie’s murder is still under criminal investigation in Ireland – the file remains open – and accordingly some secrecy is necessary.Putting this on the internet is a clear violation of that secrecy necessary for any criminal investigation,” said lawyer Alain Spilliaert, who represents Ms Toscan du Plantier’s family.
    “The document contains the names of witnesses who made statements in confidence to the police. These people now find they are named and what they said is open for everyone to see – I have never heard of this happening before in a criminal case. It’s a scandal.”

Sophie Toscan Du Plantier DPP file 2001

I've been perusing the document and I think there should be a follow-up by the Ombudsman into the entire investigation of the murder by the Gardai.

Politics.ie Member seanmoylantd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well done DPP. Irish Society needs the disinfectant of free speech on the Internet to stop the rot in our political professional and financial classes.
    Shame on the Judiciary for instructing Google to remove ratemy solicitor .ie.
    Shame on owners of newspapers for agendizing for editorial decision making to be made by themselves. [Irish Indo Sunday before last. No media attention].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We had the temerity to scoff at the Mauritian Judicial system...............
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member seanmoylantd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sadly, I am not surprised or shocked by the substance of the report.
    In the mid nineties my then sixteen year old baby brother was harassed unmercifully by rogue Garda Suiocána . He was treated like an IRA man. He was just a child. No charges were ever filed , but they told him they would stop harassing him if he admitted to breaking in to an abandoned car.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting contrast between the Irish and French police authorities on this.

I presume that they are looking at the same evidence. Are our authorities a little bit too easygoing or something ?
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bagel View Post
    Family upset by publication of case review - The Irish Times - Mon, Mar 04, 2013
    The family of murdered French film producer Sophie Toscan du Plantier have expressed their shock and upset that a confidential review of the case by the Director of Public Prosecutions has been published on the internet.
    “Sophie’s murder is still under criminal investigation in Ireland – the file remains open – and accordingly some secrecy is necessary.Putting this on the internet is a clear violation of that secrecy necessary for any criminal investigation,” said lawyer Alain Spilliaert, who represents Ms Toscan du Plantier’s family.
    “The document contains the names of witnesses who made statements in confidence to the police. These people now find they are named and what they said is open for everyone to see – I have never heard of this happening before in a criminal case. It’s a scandal.”

I've been perusing the document and I think there should be a follow-up by the Ombudsman into the entire investigation of the murder by the Gardai.
    I am now totally convinced that Sophie's family just want someone to swing from a rope. The evidence against Bailey is flimsy at best and the decision not to prosecute looks to be vindicated. Much like the family of Ronald Goldman they have a narrative of events burnt into their psyche and will not accept any other explanation of events.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Out of interset what happens when he is convicted in abscentia by a French court as he surely will be given that the farce has progressed this far and surely won't stop now. Will there be a new EAW issued for the surrender of a 'convict on the loose'? Will the ECJ demand his surrender if the supreme court applies the brakes?
    This not so divine comedy has a long way to run folks!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The DPP report completely vindicates Ian Bailey and shows that there wasn't a shred of evidence against him. I find it pretty disgusting that the Du Plantier family are objecting to its publication!

The only "scandal" here is that the entire justice apparatus of the State - Gardai, Department of Justice, courts - have spent the last 18 years hounding a man who it seems is 100% innocent.

I think this issue genuinely deserves a tribunal of inquiry.
    Last edited by Ryan Tubbs; 4th March 2013 at 03:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tubbs View Post
    The DPP report completely vindicates Ian Bailey and shows that there wasn't a shred of evidence against him. I find it pretty disgusting that the Du Plantier family are objecting to its publication!
    Well said Ryan. However the inquisitorial system is designed to get the prime suspect convicted it is not about objectively testing the evidence. In short its about finding enough data to fit the theory. This is why I feel Bailey is toast if he is extradited.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tubbs View Post
    Don't blame the family, they lost their daughter is a savage and brutal murder. Just as I don't blame the Goldman family for their relentless pursuit of the Juice, it is what happens and we should be merciful and gracious.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast