Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Cottage Loughmore Community Co-Operative

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Cottage Loughmore Community Co-Operative

I'm not sure if anyone seen Nationwide during the week. There was a documentary about A new Community Co-Operative that was started by local women, in Loughmore, County Tipperary. I'm not a business minded person, but I know they've invited everyone in the Community to become shareholders in the enterprise.

We are delighted to announce that our Community Co-Operative Shop & Tearooms is now open at The Cottage, in Loughmore.

Loughmore Community Shop & Tearooms Co-Operative is a unique venture and will be the first of itís kind in the Republic of Ireland. We would welcome you as a shareholder and encourage you to be part of it.

This new facility will enhance the lives of everyone in the community, offering a warm and welcoming place to come to enjoy our tearooms, purchase groceries, newspapers and locally produced foodstuffs from our shop or items from our Art Gallery and Craft selection. We will also be holding a Village Market on the first Sunday of every month, selling all locally home produced items of confectionery, breads, cakes, jams etc. and hand crafted items made by local craftspeople.

If you would like to become a volunteer, producer or offer a service from The Cottage we would be delighted.

These are not clapped out hippys, they're ordinary Irish women, not that there's anything wrong with clapped out hippys. I think this is a super idea. They grow their own food, and make their own arts and crafts, and have invited others to make things for a market they've opened. Fairplay to them. I'll definitely give them a visit some time this year..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Had Coffee + Scone there weekend before last as was up visiting friends from the area. Really great idea alright, that sprung from a very close knit community.
    The one thing I know is I can't know anything else...

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've often thought that the Co-Op is a tremendous model for localised and appropriate investment and great by the way for social cohesion.

While the Co-Op can be formed for a specific purpose (food, clothing, consumer goods etc) I've wondered lately whether a street or an area in towns could form a 'Purchasing Co-Op'.

By that I mean that a row of neighbours could form that Co-Op and legitimately access a purchasing card for wholesalers and do their shopping on the cheap and bypass the retail margin altogether. Simple discounts can be obtained for buying in bulk and a bit of organisation is all that is involved.

These 'Purchasing Co-Op's is effectively what Credit Unions do when they negotiate discounts for members on insurance or holidays or whatever. This model should be extended by ordinary people banding together to improve the purchasing power they have.

Where there isn't much money this model could be vital.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I saw the Nationwide programme.

It was great to see everyone cooperating, taking responsibility for their lives, being share-holders and so on...

One could not help wondering however if it was not just a little too Utopian.

In most communities, where money or work are involved, resentments and rivalries smoulder away beneath the surface, as some people do not pull their weight but take all the credit, disputes sometimes arise over policy or future direction, the mix of skills may be unbalanced, the lack of a clear chain of command can confuse things and slow everything down with endless meetings and votes on everything........

But this project seemed refreshingly free of all that, for the moment anyway. Good luck to them.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    I saw the Nationwide programme.

It was great to see everyone cooperating, taking responsibility for their lives, being share-holders and so on...

One could not help wondering however if it was not just a little too Utopian.

I only caught the tail end of it.. That's my excuse for a quick OP/Copy & Paste the rest/etc. etc.com-

Too Utopian? It did have a ring of little house on the prairy to it.. It's too good to be true? Maybe it's as good as it gets..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon.D View Post
    Had Coffee + Scone there weekend before last as was up visiting friends from the area. Really great idea alright, that sprung from a very close knit community.
    I'm not 100% about this, but I think they want to expand the idea eventually throughout the country..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LamportsEdge View Post
    I've often thought that the Co-Op is a tremendous model for localised and appropriate investment and great by the way for social cohesion.

While the Co-Op can be formed for a specific purpose (food, clothing, consumer goods etc) I've wondered lately whether a street or an area in towns could form a 'Purchasing Co-Op'.

By that I mean that a row of neighbours could form that Co-Op and legitimately access a purchasing card for wholesalers and do their shopping on the cheap and bypass the retail margin altogether. Simple discounts can be obtained for buying in bulk and a bit of organisation is all that is involved.

These 'Purchasing Co-Op's is effectively what Credit Unions do when they negotiate discounts for members on insurance or holidays or whatever. This model should be extended by ordinary people banding together to improve the purchasing power they have.

Where there isn't much money this model could be vital.
    The Idea of Community Co-Ops and Co-Ops in general are spreading.. Cork City FC iinm, along with a number of other footie clubs were forced to adapt the Co-Op Model..

Where there isn't much money this model could be vital.. That could be throughout half the country at this stage..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon.D View Post
    Feel Free to write a better OP.. If you've actually been there you'd obviously have a better insight into it..

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I saw the Nationwide programme and this type of venture is to be welcomed.

Co-operative concept generally is a sound one, I think.

Remember the industry of Agriculture throughout this country operated on a co-operative basis long before Ireland joined the EEC in 1973 for example.

Glanbia and Kerry Group and all the other agricultural super companies were all co-ops long before their present designation.
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep. My tempting addition would be to say that if they are run as a non-profit making organisation and get such recognition from the Revenue Commissioners then the bent SPV that reckons it is the current iteration of 'Ireland' won't be able to tax the enterprises either.

Purchasing power via 'Purchasing Co-ops', protection from raids by chancers or those inside trying to treat them as 'assets' by their charter and believe me I'm also trying to think of a way to have them down as a kind of hybrid 'LLP' which the next Company Law Act is enabling in Ireland.

What is sauce for the tax evading corporates and other politicians can just as easily be sauce for the average goose.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast