Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helicopter transfers to Hospitals...Where's the Coastguard??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Helicopter transfers to Hospitals...Where's the Coastguard??

Have worked the last couple of weekends...(lucky me!!....rolling in the cash!!... apologies ...off topic!!)

But have noticed that it is an Army helicopter that has transported patients to my hospital. It has been a busy couple of weekends. The weather has been dry and fine, plenty of hillwalkers etc, so the transport via helicopter is not unusual at this time of the year.( 2/3 daily!!) However it is has always been the huge coast guard helicopter that transports patients.Have not seen the Sigorski(??) for weeks... Anyone know whats going on???

Spideydad used to work for a company which ordered arts etc for the choppers and figures they are ancient, in real terms.
    Are they "out of action"...or has the army been instructed to step in??...or is there a new contract out for rescue?
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Have worked the last couple of weekends...(lucky me!!....rolling in the cash!!... apologies ...off topic!!)

But have noticed that it is an Army helicopter that has transported patients to my hospital. It has been a busy couple of weekends. The weather has been dry and fine, plenty of hillwalkers etc, so the transport via helicopter is not unusual at this time of the year.( 2/3 daily!!) However it is has always been the huge coast guard helicopter that transports patients.Have not seen the Sigorski(??) for weeks... Anyone know whats going on???

Spideydad used to work for a company which ordered arts etc for the choppers and figures they are ancient, in real terms.
    Are they "out of action"...or has the army been instructed to step in??...or is there a new contract out for rescue?
    Would this have something to do with the SNAFU where a child failed to be transported for a life-changing transplant?

The Coast Guard contracts were renewed recently- perhaps the current government has a different approach? The Coast Guard SAR Service is seen by the current government as precisely that- Search and Rescue.

Anyhow- here's a link to a report that also sets out the Air Corps' current role in ambulance missions- 30 December 2012 - Air Corps Complete 100th Air Ambulance Mission of 2012 | News & Events | Air Corps | Defence Forces
    Leges sine moribus vanae

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is probably ongoing training for flight crews.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Coast Guard helicopter contracted out to a Canadian company IIRC. Probably cheaper to have the AC do it.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for that folks.

No issue with the army lads...increases the training opportunities etc...just pondering the medical expertise vs the coast guard??...
    PLUS...is the coast guard heli out of action??
    I believe it covers the whole east coast....fishermen in trouble etc!
    Would hope that there has been no diminution of service...and we ain't being told!!

Hard to extract the cynic out of Spidey these days!!
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The HSE has contracted the Air Corps to carry out air ambulance missions.

The Coastguard has contracted CHC to carry out SAR missions.

The SAR contract is a scandal at €50m per year for 10 years for 4 choppers we'll never own. For that price the AC could have bought and operated a fleet of 8-10 similar medium lift helicopters.

Another great rip-off of the taxpayer brought to you by Fianna Fáil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Thanks for that folks.

No issue with the army lads...increases the training opportunities etc...just pondering the medical expertise vs the coast guard??...
    PLUS...is the coast guard heli out of action??
    I believe it covers the whole east coast....fishermen in trouble etc!
    Would hope that there has been no diminution of service...and we ain't being told!!

Hard to extract the cynic out of Spidey these days!!
    The military helicopter would be more suited for patient transport and is now working in conjunction with HSE paramedics for urgent transfers. An air ambulance if you will.
    The coastguard choppers are huge and designed for search and rescue. They need a bigger landing area and cost a lot to run. The company contracted is CHC I think. The helicopters are old but updated with new avionics and I know they are getting new ones soon (or already). DFB have responsibility for ship firefighting in Irish territorial waters and we train with coastguard crews by being winched on to ships and doing firefighting training. Great fun but if it were a real fire it would be a nightmare. A big metalbox on fire and you can't use much water or it will sink
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OOOOOoooohhhhh....Lucky you Firefly...love a sailor me!!...

(thks...issue solved so....and the paramedic training on the army choppers??...??...??)

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Odd that you created this thread today, Spidermom....I was pondering the same thing after witnessing one of these helicopters land on a football pitch in North Wicklow yesterday....while a schoolboy game was in progress! It was huge and it needed to land to tend to an incident nearby (but nothing to do with the football match). One of the most bizarre things I have seen in quite a while.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast