Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: American baby cured of HIV

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default American baby cured of HIV

American scientists have reported that they have managed to cure a baby born of HIV by treaing it with high doses of commonly available HIV medication from within two days of birth. The findings point the way to a possible means of treating and curing HIV in infants.

More testing needs to be done to see if the treatment would have the same effect on other children.
    But the results could possibly lead to a cure for children with HIV.
    If the child stays healthy it would be only the world's second reported cure.
    Dr Deborah Persaud, a virologist at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, presented the findings at the Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections in Atlanta.
    "This is a proof of concept that HIV can be potentially curable in infants," she said.
    BBC News - US HIV baby 'cured' by early drug treatment

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Happy days, great to see progress.
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's funny, I just read that headline on the RTE site and it made me smile.
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I put this in another thread but it desvers one of its own
    This will be the second person cured of HIV and is amazing progress

First day of CROI and already ground breaking news hopefully the next few days will be filled with good news story as we try to end aids
    "We know what to do, we just dont know how to get elected afterwards" Jean-Claude Juncker on how to fix the European economy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is great news, with huge implications for Africa especially.

Let's hope the treatment will become available for all who need it.

You read so often about how things like a simple Malaria jab costing a few dollars, is out of reach for some in developing countries...

Politics.ie Member General Urko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HIV experts have found in very very rare cases a person can rid themselves of the illness! Also rather famously there was a group of women 'working professionally' on the streets of Ghana, if I remember correctly, without condoms where no case of HIV was recorded!
    Viruses are fascinating!

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post

You gotta be kidding...?

The prospect of all those pharma companies losing all that income will probably mean any cure will be extortionately and prohibitively expensive for a long time yet...

You read so often about how things like a simple Malaria jab costing a few dollars, is out of reach for some in developing countries...
    Yep... and it's mainly to do with pharma companies wanting lots of income and a return on investment...

If they don't make loads of money they won't invest in research...

It's a bit of a Catch 22 really...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post

It is based on early treatment and stopping the virus getting a footing in the body
    It is similar to case in France were several people who tested positive got on treatment right away (within weeks) and now are doing well without drugs
    Why the baby is declared cured and not these men I dont know

French research gives scientists hope of 'functional cure' for HIV | World news | guardian.co.uk
    "We know what to do, we just dont know how to get elected afterwards" Jean-Claude Juncker on how to fix the European economy

Politics.ie Member General Urko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any illness that has 10s of millions of sufferers is bound to spring a few surprises!
    It's probably the most studied disease ever!
    It always surpises me though that Hep B (and get yourselves vaccinated as I have done) gets so little attention relatively and is possibly even more dangerous today!
    One thing that drives me insane is the lack of access to drugs to help contain HIV in particular in developing nations, The USA has been prominent in this obscenity to protect its pharma industry (we have some big ones acting the maggot here too) Vs generics have been blackmailing many developing nations with eg trade boycotts if they don't play ball!
    Also HPV which almost every human that has had sex with another has come into contact with is sliding up the scale re its apparent dangers, it is now implicated in oral cancers!
    A drug resistance form of gonnorrea is becoming established also!
    And as they say the difference between herpes and true love is that herpes lasts forever!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Urko View Post
    HIV experts have found in very very rare cases a person can rid themselves of the illness! Also rather famously there was a group of women 'working professionally' on the streets of Ghana, if I remember correctly, without condoms where no case of HIV was recorded!
    Viruses are fascinating!
    They cant rid themselves of the virus
    They can control the virus without drugs
    But they are still + and more importantly can spread the disease

They are called elite controllers I think its about 1 or 2%

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast