Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Unionist or Loyalist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Unionist or Loyalist

With all of the attention given to the loyalist fleg protestors I was just wondering how people from either side determine or classify someone as a unionist as opposed to a loyalist? personally I associate the term loyalist with paramilitaries and flute bands and voting mainly DUP (or PUP).
    On the other side of the divide I would classify SF supporters & dissidents as republicans, SDLP as nationalist, is this overly simplisitic?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devonish View Post
    With all of the attention given to the loyalist fleg protestors I was just wondering how people from either side determine or classify someone as a unionist as opposed to a loyalist? personally I associate the term loyalist with paramilitaries and flute bands and voting mainly DUP (or PUP).
    On the other side of the divide I would classify SF supporters & dissidents as republicans, SDLP as nationalist, is this overly simplisitic?
    Are you eamon Mallie.

@EamonnMallie: Are Loyalists like 'white trash' in eyes of middle class Unionists? Question posed by Paul Hagan-Rea .... Are Loyalists like 'white trash' in the eyes of middle class Unionists? Paul Hagan-Rea asks
    #3amigos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would consider myself a non-loyalist Unionist. I do think similar to you that Republican/Loyalists are the more extreme side of the fence. Where as Nationalist/Unionist to be more moderate.

Off course, all loyalists are Unionist, and all Republicans are Nationalist.

Politics.ie Member Global Justice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe Sgt. Bigot a few moments ago said something along the lines of calling a spade a spade...

It is time to call a spade a spade. As someone born off the Shankill Road into the Protestant working class, I find myself saddened and bemused by the neverending bigotry, stupidity, fascism and futility of Loyalism that was yet again manifest in the recent protests.
    Humani: The humanist association of Northern Ireland

I see no real difference between unionism and loyalism. Both will fap furiously over anything wrapped in the butchers apron. There's plenty of unionist orange-men who partake in loyalist bands and marching with fervent but deluded and an ever decaying no surrender metality

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unionist = Upper/middle class, willing to manipulate what they deem 'lower orders', Drumcree etc, more likely to incite sectarian violence/pogroms [hate speech] or being seen to be able to incite them but who will invariably stand back and claim innocence somoene gets hurt

Loyalists = the plebs that can be whipped up into a sectarian frenzy at the drop of a hat but are the disenfranchised rump of the Irish-Brits, useful idiots some might say.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northtipp View Post
    Are you eamon Mallie.

@EamonnMallie: Are Loyalists like 'white trash' in eyes of middle class Unionists? Question posed by Paul Hagan-Rea .... Are Loyalists like 'white trash' in the eyes of middle class Unionists? Paul Hagan-Rea asks
    No and I don't see it purely on class grounds either. I do see the DUP as having tried to shift it's position without brining a significant proportion of it core support with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would never label myself 'loyalist', as, as has been already stated, it has too many connotations with murder gangs.
    Far too many of our nat/rep chums seem to wallow in the cowardly, pira death squad sycophancy, and I, in all honesty, feel nothing but sympathy for them.
    Thankfully, they have no counterparts from the Unionist Community on P.ie.
    Even with the usual caveats attached to opinion polls, a 65% to 17% majority for Northern Ireland remaining in the UK suggests little room for doubt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It probably is over simplification, Billy Wright once criticised Billy Hutchinson for his left wing politics saying that pro-union beliefs aside Hutchinson was republican.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    Unionist = Upper/middle class, willing to manipulate what they deem 'lower orders', Drumcree etc, more likely to incite sectarian violence/pogroms [hate speech] or being seen to be able to incite them but who will invariably stand back and claim innocence somoene gets hurt

Loyalists = the plebs that can be whipped up into a sectarian frenzy at the drop of a hat but are the disenfranchised rump of the Irish-Brits, useful idiots some might say.
    A bit simplisitc, you assume a willingness or desire to incite violence amongst unionists, I just know too many like minded who clearly view such actions as being counter productive and not beneficial to NI.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A bit simplisitc, you assume a willingness or desire to incite violence amongst unionists, I just know too many like minded who clearly view such actions as being counter productive and not beneficial to NI.
    I would be thinking of Paisley especially, he was more than willing to use the mob for his own ends and I mentioned Drumcree because who could forget Trimble manning the ramparts as it where

Unionist maybe would see them selves as the officer class and Loyalists are the foot soldiers/pawns.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast