Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Polish President Lech Walesa's homophobic rant shocks many in Poland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Former Polish President Lech Walesa's homophobic rant shocks many in Poland

Proof is ever was needed that Walesa is nothing more than an ultra conservative reactionary Right Wing bigoted nut.

Lech Walesa: activist, electrician, president, Nobel Peace Prize winner...homophobe? - Europe - World - The Independent

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's a man of his time and his society. The regime he fought against was at least as homophobic.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My electrician is totally homophobic too.
    Faoi mhid bheith saor

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A courageous and important contribution from Walensa. Difficult to disagree with anything attributed to him in the article.
    But no doubt over-sensitive homosex activists will make a big deal of it.
    Not even a storm in a teacup.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    My electrician is totally homophobic too.
    That's Shocking alltogether!
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Non-homophobic 70 year olds are fairly rare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Walesa's always been a holy Joe, this is no surprise. Just because he opposed communism doesn't make him perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Sarkozy View Post
    A courageous and important contribution from Walensa. Difficult to disagree with anything attributed to him in the article.
    But no doubt over-sensitive homosex activists will make a big deal of it.
    Not even a storm in a teacup.
    "The 69-year-old said they did not deserve to be the front benches in parliament, and should instead be relegated to the back or “behind a wall”.

Really? Nothing to object to there? Maybe women could be sent to the back too. And non-Christians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Partizan View Post
    Proof is ever was needed that Walesa is nothing more than an ultra conservative reactionary Right Wing bigoted nut.

Lech Walesa: activist, electrician, president, Nobel Peace Prize winner...homophobe? - Europe - World - The Independent
    Who helped over throw Marxism Leninism therefore did more for human rights in Europe than virtually anyone else.
    Don't forget that the catalyst for Solidarity and what brought Wałesa back to the Lenin Shipyard to lead the strike in 1980 was the sacking of a loyal Communist Anna Walentynowycz. So he's hardly a bigot. From what I can see he's criticised Gay people for pushing an agenda he dislikes, remember Polish national identity is / was wrapped up in Catholicism (and by extension its morals), he sees the gay agenda as a threat to Polish society. So, from what I can make out, he thinks gay people should be tolerated, not their agenda embraced or advanced. Most of us think differently now (in a more pro gay way) But a few years ago many wouldhavehad the same views as Wałesa. However, people develop, society develops. This is in a way is a growing process an accommodation process. If you asked Wałesa straight (not trying to be cute with words) if he thought it wrong that a gay fella, who outlived his partner of many years who lost the partner's pension, whether that was right I suspect you'd get a different answer at least on a personal level.
    Last edited by Boy M5; 3rd March 2013 at 10:20 PM.
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boy M5 View Post
    Who helped over throw Marxism Leninism therefore did more for human rights in Europe than virtually anyone else.
    Don't forget that the catalyst for Solidarity and what brought Wałesa back to the Lenin Shipyard to lead the strike in 1980 was the sacking of a loyal Communist Anna Walentynowycz. So he's hardly a bigot. From what I can see he's criticised Gay people for pushing an agenda he dislikes, remember Polish national identity is / was wrapped up in Catholicism (and by extension its morals), he sees the gay agenda as a threat to Polish society. So, from what I can make out, he thinks gay people should be tolerated, not their agenda embraced or advanced. Most of us think differently now. But a few years ago many wouldhavehad the same views as Wałesa.
    and replaced with a reactionary Catholic state. Way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boy M5 View Post
    It was overall economic failure that brought down communism, but the idea of one honest Christian worker challenging the communist state was a more romantic image I suppose.
    From what I can see he's criticised Gay people for pushing an agenda he dislikes, remember Polish national identity is / was wrapped up in Catholicism
    Only since independence (and only because almost all the Jews are gone)

So, from what I can make out, he thinks gay people should be tolerated, not their agenda embraced or advanced.
    Tolerated is a curious word for it.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast