Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alliance launch a counter attack over the flag issue.

Johnny Boy

Default Alliance launch a counter attack over the flag issue.

At the party conference, party leader, David Ford accused the DUP/UUP of stirring up antagonism against Alliance, and suggested that it suited the DUP and Sinn Fein better to have people bickering over identity issues rather than trying to sort out educational shortcomings in loyalist areas and high levels of poverty in nationalist districts.
    He does have a point.
    In the past few weeks we have been assured by several unionist posters that Alliance are finished, and that they will lose support among moderate unionists because of their vote on the flag issue, which of course begs the question: how can anyone who insists on having a 365 day flag policy imposed on the 48.8% of the population who voted nationalist or Alliance in the last election, possibly be described as moderate?
    The inability to respect parity of esteem is surely the hallmark of bigotry?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking1.html

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    At the party conference, party leader, David Ford accused the DUP/UUP of stirring up antagonism against Alliance, and suggested that it suited the DUP and Sinn Fein better to have people bickering over identity issues rather than trying to sort out educational shortcomings in loyalist areas and high levels of poverty in nationalist districts.
    He does have a point.
    In the past few weeks we have been assured by several unionist posters that Alliance are finished, and that they will lose support among moderate unionists because of their vote on the flag issue, which of course begs the question: how can anyone who insists on having a 365 day flag policy imposed on the 48.8% of the population who voted nationalist or Alliance in the last election, possibly be described as moderate?
    If you cannot respect parity of esteem, then surely that is the hallmark of bigotry?

Unionist parties 'drove flag protests' - The Irish Times - Sat, Mar 02, 2013
    48.8% of the population who voted nationalist
    big turn out that day...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Johnny Boy

Smart-arse...................
    48.8% of the voting population, then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Watched the flegs discussion on the Parliament channel today and without fear of contradiction I can safely say that the Developer's Unionist Party are the most base creatures in the isles.

The point that you are making Johnny's was handsomely made by Dolores Kelly at that very debate somedays ago. Nationalists have known for decades what they were and now the Alliance Party have only been awoken to it.i followed the Alliance debate on the Twitter machine and all I could think of was the SDLP, SF, GAA, taxi copanies etc. that had deathe threats in acted upon them and the typical self indulgence of Alliance.
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Less another 5% who seem quite happy with 365 days ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Anyway, so basically you are saying you can not be a moderate if you support the flying of your national flag... do you go to many GAA matches old bean...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Johnny Boy

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    Anyway, so basically you are saying you can not be a moderate if you support the flying of your national flag... do you go to many GAA matches old bean...
    It's probably been 15 years since I last went to a GAA match. I'm more of a soccer fan, tbh. Apart from RoI games, I go occasionally to the Emirates to see the Arsenal. But the glory days for both teams are in the past so there is less incentive. Haven't been to Arsenal since January 2012. I used to go 3/4 times a year.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think you could call yourself truly moderate if you are prepared to see the tricolour and the union jack flying side by side now and in the future in either a northern Ireland in the UK or a United Ireland respecting both communities wishes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sowhat View Post
    I think you could call yourself truly moderate if you are prepared to see the tricolour and the union jack flying side by side now and in the future in either a northern Ireland in the UK or a United Ireland respecting both communities wishes.
    And i think being moderate is accepting designated days for the national flag throughout NI...respecting both communities wishes, especially the 75% who do not see themselves as "Irish"...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And i think being moderate is accepting designated days for the national flag throughout NI.
    Here we go again. Where are the Tricolours flying from the Nationalist Councils?

Its like going around a roundabout on here sometimes.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast