Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zerohedge, what do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Zerohedge, what do you think?

I joined this site about two and a half years ago and it was the first time I came across Zerohedge. I follow alot of people on twitter including Zerohedge. I think that Zerohedge is an excellent source of real time upto date news in the euro area and beyond, you cannot knock it for that. But what do people really think of Zerohedge. A thread recently started by a regular p.ie member had posted by another member that he/she was our very own Zerohedge.

Before Christmas of last year, on my twitter account, one of the accounts I followed, Zerohedge, I got fed up with the constant feed of Goldman Sachs,Gold and QE3. I know a few respected people on twitter following the eurozone crisis got so fed up with Zerohedge that they tweeted they no longer follow him on twitter.

Is Zerohedge a group of young twenty year olds projecting the world is going to end, the euro is dead, and buy gold or is there merit in their logic?

I start this thread, as Zerohedge or Zerocred gets alot of bashing on this site.
    Last edited by sport02; 5th March 2013 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sport02 View Post
    I joined this site about two and a half years ago and it was the first time I came across Zerohedge. I follow alot on tiwtter including Zerohedge. I think that Zerohedge is an excellent source of real time upto date news in the euro area and beyond, you cannot knock it for that. But what do people really think of Zerohedge. A forum recently started by a regular p.ie member was posted by another member that he/she was our very own Zerohedge.

Before Christmas of last year, on my twitter account under Zerohedge, I got fed up with the constant feed of Goldman Sachs,Gold and QE3. I know a few respectable people on twitter following the eurozone crisis got so fed up with Zerohedge that they tweeted they no longer follow him on twitter.

Is Zerohedge a group of young teens projecting the world is going to end, the euro is dead, and buy gold or is there merit in their logic?

I start this thread as Zerohedge or Zerocred gets alot of bashing on this site.
    zerohedge can be fun to read and sometimes reveals a good a story. but it's also an extremely biased and mostly unreliable source. for trusted information you need to look elsewhere.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He gets a bit overexcited, the worse the news, the more overexcited he seems to get.
    Which is an odd reaction unless you're of a particular bent.

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    He gets a bit overexcited, the worse the news, the more overexcited he seems to get.
    Which is an odd reaction unless you're of a particular bent.
    it's not just one person, it's a continually changing group of anonymous authors on zerohedge.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWhatIMeanLike View Post
    it's not just one person, it's a continually changing group of anonymous authors on zerohedge.
    The style of the site then, same applies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Like I said - I'm Zeer O'Hedge without the predictions.

That way ya can't be wrong...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I say respected followers on twitter, I mean Irish bond traders, Irish market analysts. English FT journos and Italian eurozone journos.
    Last edited by sport02; 5th March 2013 at 11:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get them to follow us

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is what it is- a, aggregatio platform with some editorializing, where various people prevent investment theses, updates from various financial types, comment, very biased opinion, and often contradictory points of view. It's virtue is that it gets viewpoints out there that might not often get an airing and that are often very, very on the money. It's downside is that it's shotgun approach to sources means that it turns up as much dross as it does gold.

But I prefer it to mainstream publications on the basis that I have some sort of chance of reading something actionable there, but I have virtually no chance of doing the same in most major publications, since they are usually packed with uncritical regurgitation of official opinion, someone trying to sell you something, or extremely smug buckets of hindsight.

I do know for a fact that I have personally profited from reading the likes of Reggie Middleton and some of the exposes of US listings of Chinese stocks by Muddy Waters. I also know that they were miles ahead of the curve on predicting the crisis,on their extremely good work on high-frequency trading, their shredding of BLS statistics, their work on the robosigning saga, and their frequent exposes on just what Goldman Sachs gets up to, I also see that BOA have banned it's employees from reading Zerohedge, so they are therefore on the right track.

They also have far more integrity than the happy-clappy cheerleading shills at CNBC and Bloomberg. I think Matt Taibi gives a good flavor of ZH at its best:

“ Right around that same time, there were three media stories that helped focus a swirl of seriously negative attention on the bank. My piece was one, New York magazine's Joe Hagan wrote another, and the third was a series of stories by a heretofore little-known blogger who went by the nom de plume of "Tyler Durden" on a blog called Zero Hedge.
    Durden's blog was written in an impenetrable Wall Street jargon, and the man himself – later outed by nosy reporters as an Eastern European trader who had been sanctioned by FINRA – was intimidating even to Wall Street insiders. "Zero Hedge, man, he makes my head hurt" was a typical comment from my Wall Street sources.
    Beginning in early 2009 Durden had been on a jihad about Goldman, having sifted through trading data to make what he insisted was an airtight case proving that the bank's high-frequency or "flash" trading desk was engaged in some sort of large-scale manipulation of the New York Stock Exchange. Durden drew his conclusions by scrupulously analyzing trading data the NYSE released each week. So what happened? Naturally, the NYSE on June 24 changed its rules and stopped releasing the data, seemingly to protect Goldman from Zero Hedge's meddling.
    Zero Hedge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For those who don't like it, they usually make the mistake of thinking it as some sort of mainstream publication whose focus is straight reporting. This is not what Zerohedge is or does.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Dublin-Male-Hetero-ABFF but worried about FGLab
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some great articles, but a lot of the writers don't seem to have an anchor to anything... except that they are vehemently opposed to money printing... keynesian economics that is going on at the mo.
    can be beautifully anarchistic and can be a wonderful disrespectull contrast to the respectable pearls of bull that the MSM mainstream media spread out before the swine to lap up.

They have lost significant credibility in pushing gold as it's now down to 1550 or so and they were predicting a climb from 1800/1900$/oz to the heavens... 10 000 or am I letting my imagination run...? was it 3000?
    "Well, OK. Fine. As long as it comes with a steady paycheck, I'd believe whatever they wanted me to believe, as the Guy in Ghostbusters said."

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast