Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: The Martyrs of Louth and Meath

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Kevin Parlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    10,186
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default The Martyrs of Louth and Meath

    I've just read a piece on the IT which I am still trying to take in. I'm still trying to just take on board the fact that an Irish paper would publish such a piece. I don't know how else I'd describe it other than a whitewash/puff piece of travelling jihadists in Syria, titled "The Martyrs of Louth and Meath". The piece talks long and softly about the fate of these people but doesn't for a moment reflect on their motivation, or the type of society these men are fighting and dying to put in place. Zero reflection. Read and weep: The martyrs of Louth and Meath - The Irish Times - Sat, Mar 02, 2013

    EDIT: The Irish Times seem to have moved to shut down the comments section attached to the referenced article.
    Last edited by Kevin Parlon; 2nd March 2013 at 03:41 PM.
    "It is amazing how many people think that they can answer an argument by attributing bad motives to those who disagree with them." - Thomas Sowell

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Eire1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    14,032
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Parlon View Post
    I've just read a piece on the IT which I am still trying to take in. I'm still trying to just take on board the fact that an Irish paper would publish such a piece. I don't know how else I'd describe it other than a whitewash/puff piece of travelling jihadists in Syria, titled "The Martyrs of Louth and Meath". The piece talks long and softly about the fate of these people but doesn't for a moment reflect on their motivation, or the type of society these men are fighting a dying to put in place. Read and weep: The martyrs of Louth and Meath - The Irish Times - Sat, Mar 02, 2013
    If they've gone off to fight for democracy and western values, the good luck to them.


    If not, then let them stay there

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member parentheses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    13,367
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Parlon View Post
    I don't know how else I'd describe it other than a whitewash/puff piece of travelling jihadists in Syria, titled "The Martyrs of Louth and Meath".
    What do you expect?

    The Irish Times has been the voice of British imperialism in Ireland.

    Covert British imperialism helps drive the Jihadi insurgency in Syria. Naturally the IT is chuffed that Ireland has become an incubator for naive youngsters to further the agenda of the empire

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Kevin Parlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    10,186
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
    What do you expect?
    sane comment.
    "It is amazing how many people think that they can answer an argument by attributing bad motives to those who disagree with them." - Thomas Sowell

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member dunno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    First it carries several Moslem clerics or scholars who are opposed to travelling to Syria for jihad:

    In October, however, an influential Saudi cleric, Salman al-Ouda, who has visited Ireland a number of times, advised Muslim youths against going to Syria to fight “so as not to give the regime a pretext” that it is battling “terrorists” who have infiltrated the country.

    There are several of those critical voices regarding travelling jihadis in the article, supportive of a cause all reasoning people would back, but pointing out they are not needed. Did you read the article or did your weeping blind you to those points?

    The FSA and other mujiahideen have greater need of weapons than men might be committed, but have no military experience. First Syrian peasant farmers ruined by drought, followed with a continual flow of Sunnis depart Batta Assad's army, together with under-employed urban workers ruined by economic reforms, means manpower isn't a priority. The Kurdish Peshmerga largely control the northern boundary, hostile Iraq, the west, with wary Lebanon, the east and cautious Jordan the south. Foreign fighters are not an efficient use of resources for them, really awkward to reinforce, and therefore are a minority.

    Not surprising they shut down the comments. Syria related articles draw a torrent of insane Alex Jones types.

    IMPERIALISTS! ILLUMINATI! REPITILIANS! ISRAEEEEEEL!
    \
    Last edited by dunno; 2nd March 2013 at 03:56 PM.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Kevin Parlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    10,186
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dunno View Post
    First it carries several Moslem clerics or scholars who are opposed to travelling to Syria for jihad:

    In October, however, an influential Saudi cleric, Salman al-Ouda, who has visited Ireland a number of times, advised Muslim youths against going to Syria to fight “so as not to give the regime a pretext” that it is battling “terrorists” who have infiltrated the country.

    There are several of those critical voices regarding travelling jihadis in the article, supportive of a cause all reasoning people would back, but pointing out they are not needed. Did you read the article or did your weeping blind you to those points?

    The FSA and other mujiahideen have greater need of weapons than men might be committed, but have no military experience. First Syrian peasant farmers ruined by drought, followed with a continual flow of Sunnis depart Batta Assad's army, together with under-employed urban workers ruined by economic reforms, means manpower isn't a priority. The Kurdish Peshmerga largely control the northern boundary, hostile Iraq, the west, with wary Lebanon, the east and cautious Jordan the south. Foreign fighters are not an efficient use of resources for them, and therefore are a minority.
    My problem with the piece is that it ignores (or worse; treats as irrelevant) the ideology of those upon whom it focuses. These people are fighting and dying to establish a theocratic fascist state; something the author doesn't bother mentioning, instead portraying them as idealistic revolutionaries . The vileness of the Assad regime does not confer a 'pass' on those who would have him gone (and I wish him gone).
    "It is amazing how many people think that they can answer an argument by attributing bad motives to those who disagree with them." - Thomas Sowell

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member dunno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Parlon View Post
    My problem with the piece is that it ignoresthe ideology of those upon whom it focuses. These people are fighting and dying to establish a theocratic fascist state; something the author doesn't bother mentioning, instead portraying them as idealistic revolutionaries . The vileness of the Assad regime does not confer a 'pass' on those who would have him gone (and I wish him gone).
    She does leave too far much unexamined in regard to religious radicalism (only the Christian radicals interest the IT and Guardian), but at least most fighters do not subscribe to radical jihadism. Some in the FSA promise that the next fight after Assad will be with Jabhat al Nusra. Mary Fitzgerald has written part of an interesting article, but it is lacking. The youths themselves are hardly ideologues. The greater interest would be to see if they have recruiters and the like, who would be.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Korea
    Posts
    7,201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dunno View Post
    She does leave too far much unexamined in regard to religious radicalism (only the Christian radicals interest the IT and Guardian), but at least most fighters do not subscribe to radical jihadism. Some in the FSA promise that the next fight after Assad will be with Jabhat al Nusra. Mary Fitzgerald has written part of an interesting article, but it is lacking. The youths themselves are hardly ideologues. The greater interest would be to see if they have recruiters and the like, who would be.
    Poor young lads were probably brainwashed by their seniors to go and fight like the young gullible lads up North who wasted their lives in Long Kesh for a DUP government

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Nordie Northsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Phibsoro
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I've given up on the Irish Times to be honest. It's a dead duck.
    Infamy, infamy, they've all got it infamy!

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordie Northsider View Post
    I've given up on the Irish Times to be honest. It's a dead duck.
    I gave up on it during the property boom, when Austin Hughes and Dan McLaughloin were thye "Two Pillar bank economists" on duty telling the readers to keep borrowing.

    However, I am sure that there are rewards for any media organization which agrees with wealthy middle eastern oil based kleptocracies backing the retrenchment of social development in neighbouring countries.

    THE SH!TE RIMES - in favour of feminism as long as the discussion is not about the Middle East ?
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •