Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: New website cataloguing data on British Slave-owners

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default New website cataloguing data on British Slave-owners

    University College London has started a project looking at the legacies of British slavery.

    They have digitised the records of the people who were compensated by the British government in 1833, when slaves in the British empire were freed, showing who shared in the £20 million pay-out to slaveholding families, and begun the process of identifying the men and women who profited.

    They are also looking at what they did with the money.

    They have just unveiled the associated website:Legacies of British Slave-ownership

    You can do a search on the data under various categories, such as names, addresses etc. For instance, if you do a search for "Dublin", you get the names of 38 individuals resident in Dublin at the time who claimed compensation.

    UCL look at the legacies under a number of headings, such as commercial, cultural and political. For example, they examine how a lot of the compensated slaveholders invested some of their money in the then beginning British railway network, interesting to see how the capital derived from the labour of the slaves in the colonies is so directly related to that process.

    Also, it is illuminating to see how many in the political class benefitted.

    Worth a look.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Prester Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    dublin and cork
    Posts
    10,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    David Camerons family apparently got a huge amount of their wealth from the slave trade and the massive payouts given to those involved when it was abolished. There are many other top Torys on the list too.
    They may have just been maintaining this ever since.
    Very meritocratic parliament.

    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...n-8508358.html
    Last edited by Prester Jim; 1st March 2013 at 10:52 PM.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member parentheses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    13,365
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I read somewhere the British govt. spent more compensating slave owners than they spent on ameliorating the Irish famine.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Magdalene Gulags

    Quote Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
    I read somewhere the British govt. spent more compensating slave owners than they spent on ameliorating the Irish famine.
    I wonder how much compensation the Irish Government and religious orders will pay to the freed slaves of the Magdalene gulags?

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    28,808
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dissenter 1 View Post
    I wonder how much compensation the Irish Government and religious orders will pay to the freed slaves of the Magdalene gulags?
    as little as possible.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member artfoley56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    courtown, Dun Laoghaire
    Posts
    9,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    what about the slave owners who are not irish or british but a distinct and separate ethnic group within society.
    "I like a bit of a cavort, I don't send 'em solicitor's letters. I apply a bit of pressure"

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member zippo222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Co. Wexford
    Posts
    3,780
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artfoley56 View Post
    what about the slave owners who are not irish or british but a distinct and separate ethnic group within society.
    Artfully put sir.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    east and west
    Posts
    22,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I wonder will the African countries compile a database of the various tribes who profited from selling others into slavery.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Catalpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Planet Blanchardstown
    Posts
    25,402
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronanr View Post
    University College London has started a project looking at the legacies of British slavery.

    They have digitised the records of the people who were compensated by the British government in 1833, when slaves in the British empire were freed, showing who shared in the £20 million pay-out to slaveholding families, and begun the process of identifying the men and women who profited.

    They are also looking at what they did with the money.

    They have just unveiled the associated website:Legacies of British Slave-ownership

    You can do a search on the data under various categories, such as names, addresses etc. For instance, if you do a search for "Dublin", you get the names of 38 individuals resident in Dublin at the time who claimed compensation.

    UCL look at the legacies under a number of headings, such as commercial, cultural and political. For example, they examine how a lot of the compensated slaveholders invested some of their money in the then beginning British railway network, interesting to see how the capital derived from the labour of the slaves in the colonies is so directly related to that process.

    Also, it is illuminating to see how many in the political class benefitted.

    Worth a look.
    Surprised to see claiments from Dublin

    I presume there are others in the rest of Ireland too

    Looks like not all were successful in their claims though

    One wonders what the criteria was to get the 'Compo'?
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Irish Slave Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    Surprised to see claiments from Dublin

    I presume there are others in the rest of Ireland too

    Looks like not all were successful in their claims though

    One wonders what the criteria was to get the 'Compo'?
    Why are you surprised? We were part of the Empire. Do you think we hold some moral high ground when it comes to exploiting people?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •