Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An Ambassador to the Vatican? Eh why?

Politics.ie Member Darren J. Prior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default An Ambassador to the Vatican? Eh why?

I know there is a God I don't believe in one. I went to a CBS and if I have kids I will probably send them to Catholic Church ethos schools. Although I agree that the option should be made available for a lot more schools to change their patronage. I have a cousin who is a priest. I only know a couple of priests, my cousin included, and yes they are nice and I have met priests over the years who are sound and I have huge respect and admiration for them. But I don't see why the Vatican deserves an Ambassador from our country. As Fianna Fáil believe. Although the Catholic Church has reformed a lot I still think there is still a good way to go before they deserve an Ambassador from our country.

Government rejects FF call to reinstate ambassador to Vatican - The Irish Times - Fri, Mar 01, 2013
    Last edited by Darren J. Prior; 1st March 2013 at 07:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have we an Ambassador in Salt Lake city? Do we have official diplomatic channels open with the Sikh's, the Sunni's, the Hindu's, the Buddhists, the Amish etc etc or is it just one of the medieval churches that should get a dedicated ambassador?

Or did we have an Ambassador in the Vatican because it's really another country and therefore important for trade agreements ands joint international security arrangements, visa for visitors etc?

Or isn't the very notion of a modern secular government having some diplomatic link to a relgious group a momumental absurdity in itseelf? And we laugh at DeVelara kissing the archbishops ring back in the old days!
    Bringing reconciliation, mutual respect and cross community understanding to Northern Ireland through facts

Because we have so much money to waste and give to the poor carholic church

Dublin, but lived in Tipp, Limerick, Kildare, NI, UK & USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And all the Bishops in their Palaces and Priests in their Parochial Houses will pay no property taxes and probably no water taxes etcs. as they are charities!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Vatican has diplomatic links to most of the countries in the world. We don't. And we can chose diplomatic links through the UK, US or other EU countries. Having the Vatican diplomatic connection was very useful and it was closed for ill informed reasons. It should reopen when the new head of State is "elected". (Using Rome as a dual base is as unacceptable as countries using London to cover Ireland).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Con Gallagher View Post
    The Vatican has diplomatic links to most of the countries in the world. We don't. And we can chose diplomatic links through the UK, US or other EU countries. Having the Vatican diplomatic connection was very useful and it was closed for ill informed reasons. It should reopen when the new head of State is "elected". (Using Rome as a dual base is as unacceptable as countries using London to cover Ireland).
    "Unacceptable" to a "country" the size of Limerick City? I can live with that...
    BTW, we do have representation in the UN where we can meet with reps from every state on the planet.
    What, apart from lotsa lace and brocade, does the Vatican offer?
    My Avatar is the FF logo INVERTED symbolising contempt for the FF Party and its members.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vega1447 View Post
    "Unacceptable" to a "country" the size of Limerick City? I can live with that...
    BTW, we do have representation in the UN where we can meet with reps from every state on the planet.
    What, apart from lotsa lace and brocade, does the Vatican offer?
    It's a great place for tips on how to cover up paedophilia and other scandals especially sexual ones and banking.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Didn't they get rid of this anomaly?

Probably no real saving as it sounds like half of RTE are currently over there.
    At some point the gloves must come off and we face our adversaries.
    We're all Rhodesians now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J. Prior View Post
    I know there is a God I don't believe in one.
    Oxymoronic I think!
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post
    Oxymoronic I think!
    Moore's paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    My Avatar is the FF logo INVERTED symbolising contempt for the FF Party and its members.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast