Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Bradley Manning Pleads Guilty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bradley Manning Pleads Guilty

Bradley Manning has plead guilty to charges surrounding the Wikileaks affair. He plead guilty to "Misusing Classified Documents", a charge for which he can receive 20 years in prison. The most serious charge of "Aiding the Enemy" was dropped. He could have received Life in prison for that.

So he will probably have 20 years in Fort Leavenworth to look forward to. Supermax would be much better though. Good on him.

Bradley Manning pleads guilty to misusing classified data in WikiLeaks case | Reuters

‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looking at this story on CNN, apparently Manning plead guilty in the hopes the USG will not pursue the more serious charge against him of "Aiding the Enemy". This is what is known as a naked plea. But the USG still plans to pursue that charge apparently.

A military lawyer who follows the case told CNN the tactic is known as a "naked plea," or a guilty plea in the absence of a plea deal. The lawyer said that by using that strategy, the defense apparently hopes the government will feel victorious about the guilty pleas Manning has entered and won't go through the effort of a trial.However, in previous hearings, the prosecution has said it intends to pursue convictions on the remaining charges.

If his case proceeds, Manning has asked for Lind, instead of the military equivalent of a jury, to decide his guilt or innocence on the 11 charges to which he pleaded not guilty.
    Pfc. Manning admits leaking classified material that 'upset' him to WikiLeaks - CNN.com
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Boggle

That country gives me the creeps these days.
    Land of the weak and the home of the slave...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
    That country gives me the creeps these days.
    Land of the weak and the home of the slave...
    It seems that in addition to Gilmore other people support law breaking in the US.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    It seems that in addition to Gilmore other people support law breaking in the US.
    I would have supported law breaking in Ireland in 1913. See what I'm getting at?
    The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled, you just become a replica of someone else's mind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chris Hedges is a journalist with a strong sense of ethics and usually worth a read. I though this article was excellent. Bradley Manning will likely rot in jail the rest of his life which is a tragedy and the US resembles the old USSR more and more as time goes by which is also a tragedy.

After Revealing Atrocities of Asymmetrical Warfare, Manning Will Face Asymmetrical Trial
    Conservatives seem to believe that the rich will work harder if we give them more, and the poor will work harder if we give them less. E.J. Dionne

Politics.ie Member gracethepirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imokyrok View Post
    Chris Hedges is a journalist with a strong sense of ethics and usually worth a read. I though this article was excellent. Bradley Manning will likely rot in jail the rest of his life which is a tragedy and the US resembles the old USSR more and more as time goes by which is also a tragedy.

After Revealing Atrocities of Asymmetrical Warfare, Manning Will Face Asymmetrical Trial
    He is ultimately the cause of Assange's incarceration in a tiny London embassy so.
    Brexit comes straight from hell. Everywhere it goes it causes disharmony, turbulence and misery. I think Brexiteers themselves must have some form of mental illness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imokyrok View Post

Manning made the decision to violate regulations, agreements, and his oath. He deserves whatever he gets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Manning made the decision to violate regulations, agreements, and his oath. He deserves whatever he gets.
    Yes, he was probably wrong for leaking some of the stuff he did, but at the same time some of the stuff he released the people of the US should have known about.

EDIT: Also, you need to reread your signature.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your signature is at odds with your views on Manning. Tell me did you ever watch the Apache helcopter attack mentioned in Hedges article?
    Conservatives seem to believe that the rich will work harder if we give them more, and the poor will work harder if we give them less. E.J. Dionne

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast