Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death of Stalin; 60 years - 5th of March

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Death of Stalin; 60 years - 5th of March

On the fifth of March, one of the most known men of the 20th century and an over-all historical titan, Josef Stalin passed away. Even his death remained an absolute mystery and to this very day doubt remains as to whether he died naturally or was he given assistance by his supposedly loyal comrades.

Stalin, at the peak of his power was the supreme pontifex of the communist international and arguably one of the most powerful men of the 20th century. Commanding a nation that comprised of 1/6th of the land mass, with the greatest sized land army and an atmosphere that challenged the USA.

But what do we really remember Josef Vissarionivich Stalin for when we look back upon him?

Let me outline some of my personal ideas.

I remember him as the successor of Lenin.
    I remember him as the great 'Vozdh' and father of the Soviet people.
    I remember him as a key figure in leading the drive for industrialization in the Soviet Union.
    I remember him being responsible for great famines in the Ukraine.
    I remember him for the grand architect behind a variety of purges and ethnic cleansings.
    I remember him for the devious foreign policy played in the late 1930s; At one point openly fighting to maintani collective security against Hitler (Spanish civil war) and at a second point signing a neutrality pact to buy time for the USSR to prepare for an offensive war.
    I remember the battles of Kursk, Stalingrad & Leningrad being accreditted to Stalin due to the exceptional amount of fear had for him by all.
    I remember the beginning of the Cold War and the role Stalin played in this, providing to be a tough negotiator and pretty much balancing out American attempt of domination in the European continent.
    I remember Stalin as the person behind the creation of the North Korean state and the go ahead given to begin the Korean war, which still to this day has not ended.

Stalin, is a historical titan that will be remembered until the end of time such as Genghis Khan, or Julius Caesar. A man shrouded by mystery (the fact that he left no diary or journal helped!) and a man who was capable of grinding almost 200 million people into his complete and unbreakable iron will.

60 years will pass on his death on the 5th of March, no doubt those devoted to the Stalinist cause will commemorate his cause, no doubt those who hated him will commemorate his misgivings, but he did what many fail to achieve to do, he achieved immortality in the passages of history.

I do not 'admire' the man himself, I do not admire the terrors he unleashed upon innocent people, I do not admire the millions of people who died because he decided to open pandora's box and release ruthless inquisition after ruthless inquisition.

I do admire the man for his political genius in acquiring such a position to be capable of such things.

-Kommunist
    "The great appear great because we are on our knees: Let us rise." James Larkin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That Stalin fellow was an awful divil.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Evil paranoid megalomaniac.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seismic change thinks Enda is bigger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bit mad that he couldn't even spell Joseph correctly - its a common name ffs
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Johnny Cash (10 years dead this year) was stationed as a radioman in Berlin with the US Air Force, he was on duty the night news of Stalin's death came through. Cash was one of the first in the West to hear of it.
    Last edited by Goa Tse; 28th February 2013 at 07:57 PM.
    'I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.' - Kurt Cobain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Asparagus View Post
    His name in Georgian was Josef.

Evil paranoid megalomaniac.
    Define 'evil' for me, just out of curiousity.
    "The great appear great because we are on our knees: Let us rise." James Larkin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kommunist View Post
    On the fifth of March, one of the most known men of the 20th century and an over-all historical titan, Josef Stalin passed away. Even his death remained an absolute mystery and to this very day doubt remains as to whether he died naturally or was he given assistance by his supposedly loyal comrades.

Stalin, at the peak of his power was the supreme pontifex of the communist international and arguably one of the most powerful men of the 20th century. Commanding a nation that comprised of 1/6th of the land mass, with the greatest sized land army and an atmosphere that challenged the USA.

But what do we really remember Josef Vissarionivich Stalin for when we look back upon him?

Let me outline some of my personal ideas.

I remember him as the successor of Lenin.
    I remember him as the great 'Vozdh' and father of the Soviet people.
    I remember him as a key figure in leading the drive for industrialization in the Soviet Union.
    I remember him being responsible for great famines in the Ukraine.
    I remember him for the grand architect behind a variety of purges and ethnic cleansings.
    I remember him for the devious foreign policy played in the late 1930s; At one point openly fighting to maintani collective security against Hitler (Spanish civil war) and at a second point signing a neutrality pact to buy time for the USSR to prepare for an offensive war.
    I remember the battles of Kursk, Stalingrad & Leningrad being accreditted to Stalin due to the exceptional amount of fear had for him by all.
    I remember the beginning of the Cold War and the role Stalin played in this, providing to be a tough negotiator and pretty much balancing out American attempt of domination in the European continent.
    I remember Stalin as the person behind the creation of the North Korean state and the go ahead given to begin the Korean war, which still to this day has not ended.

Stalin, is a historical titan that will be remembered until the end of time such as Genghis Khan, or Julius Caesar. A man shrouded by mystery (the fact that he left no diary or journal helped!) and a man who was capable of grinding almost 200 million people into his complete and unbreakable iron will.

60 years will pass on his death on the 5th of March, no doubt those devoted to the Stalinist cause will commemorate his cause, no doubt those who hated him will commemorate his misgivings, but he did what many fail to achieve to do, he achieved immortality in the passages of history.

I do not 'admire' the man himself, I do not admire the terrors he unleashed upon innocent people, I do not admire the millions of people who died because he decided to open pandora's box and release ruthless inquisition after ruthless inquisition.

I do admire the man for his political genius in acquiring such a position to be capable of such things.

-Kommunist
    Sounds a bit like the "70% good, 30% bad" apologia the Chinese Communists make for Mao

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The great composer, Sergei Prokofiev, died the same day. No flowers were available for his funeral!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Asparagus View Post
    Heh heh.

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast