Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Castlerea no longer wants its prison to accommodate certain prisoners

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Castlerea no longer wants its prison to accommodate certain prisoners

Public meeting in Castlerea tonight over plans to develop Harristown House as an open prison

Dermot Ahern T.D. officially opens the new 100 space accommodation block at Castlerea Prison | Fianna Fáil

Roscommon Herald — Public to air their views on prison plans - Roscommon Herald

Castlerea for many years campaigned to have a prison opened to benefit the locality-it got what it wanted. It now appears that the locals, and some councillorsand TD's , do not want certain prisoners to be held there. Do the good folk of port laoise or clondalkin have a veto on who may be held in their local facility. Will Ming, dinny naughton or pascal fitzmaurice be deciding in future who can or cannot stay in the state prison?
    Last edited by mido; 28th February 2013 at 05:27 PM.
    Pity the nation divided into into fragments, each fragment deeming itself a nation - Khalil Gibran

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I want a hospital to open next to me so I can get employment but I don't want any sick people in my neighbourhood.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It looks to me like they want prisoners to actually be kept in within the walls of the prison.......not a lot to ask for is it....otherwise on the flip side why don't we also just locate hospital patients in some local rented house then so?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I presume open prisons house prisoners who are approaching the end of their sentences and they prepare them for eventual release?
    Was this not the case with nutjob and double murderer Malcolm McArthur who was allowed to go shopping and so on before he was finally let out?
    Presumably these people are heavily monitored and continue to be so following release?
    The law doesn't allow criminals including murderers to be kept inside indefinitely.
    They serve their sentences and then they are released.

Boggle

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch 22 View Post
    I presume open prisons house prisoners who are approaching the end of their sentences and they prepare them for eventual release?
    Was this not the case with nutjob and double murderer Malcolm McArthur who was allowed to go shopping and so on before he was finally let out?
    Presumably these people are heavily monitored and continue to be so following release?
    The law doesn't allow criminals including murderers to be kept inside indefinitely.
    They serve their sentences and then they are released.
    Have you watched that prison show on RTE on Mondays?
    Didn't look o be the case... seemed great craic though! Bit like a govt butlins.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With the daily rising levels of crime being reported, we should be honest about this and forget about Harristown House in favour of Leinster House.

If Shatter wants an open prison, let it be built next door to his own house I say.
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
    Have you watched that prison show on RTE on Mondays?
    Didn't look o be the case... seemed great craic though! Bit like a govt butlins.
    If they take liberties aren't they booted back to a more secure lock up?

Boggle

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch 22 View Post
    If they take liberties aren't they booted back to a more secure lock up?
    Indeed. If they are caught I suppose and it didn't look like anyone pays too much attention once they are inside after dark.
    Put it this way, I wouldn't like to live next to it because I seriously doubt treating people like animals and allowing them to mix with more seasoned criminals is really going to rehabilitate anyone. If anything it'll just make them less likely to get caught.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mido View Post
    Public meeting in Castlerea tonight over plans to develop Harristown House as an open prison

Dermot Ahern T.D. officially opens the new 100 space accommodation block at Castlerea Prison | Fianna Fáil

Roscommon Herald — Public to air their views on prison plans - Roscommon Herald

Castlerea for many years campaigned to have a prison opened to benefit the locality-it got what it wanted. It now appears that the locals, and some councillorsand TD's , do not want certain prisoners to be held there. Do the good folk of port laoise or clondalkin have a veto on who may be held in their local facility. Will Ming be deciding in future who can or cannot stay in the state prison?
    So you translate Ming 'raising the matter in the Dail this week as a topical issue and saying there was a need for information from the Minister for Justice' as Ming 'deciding in future who can or cannot stay in the state prison' whilst ignoring your own Dinny Naughtons query and the scaremongering of Paschal Fitzmaurice.

Agenda monkey.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 'orebel View Post
    So you translate Ming 'raising the matter in the Dail this week as a topical issue and saying there was a need for information from the Minister for Justice' as Ming 'deciding in future who can or cannot stay in the state prison' whilst ignoring your own Dinny Naughtons query and the scaremongering of Paschal Fitzmaurice.

Agenda monkey.

My Dinny Naughton ? Where have I ever expressed support good bad or indifferent for said Mr Naughton, or his erstwhile colleagues in the blueshirt party for that matter. as for Ming, he is far too cute an operator not to say, I presume, when asked, did I not ask the minister when asked if he is in favour or not of the proposal- as for the FF councillor, why would I give them the credence of mentioning them
    Pity the nation divided into into fragments, each fragment deeming itself a nation - Khalil Gibran

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast