Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100m golf course near Giant's Causeway given the go ahead

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 100m golf course near Giant's Causeway given the go ahead

telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/9898363/100m-golf-course-near-Giants-Causeway-given-the-go-ahead.html

Work on a 100 million golf resort near the famous Giant's Causeway on Ulster's north coast is due to get under way later this year after a landmark ruling at the Northern Ireland High Court today.

Thanks to RUC informer Alex Attwood, so the rest of us who dont value golf lose out a national heritage

Castle Ray

This is great news for NI and the north coast tourist offering specifically. It in no way spoils the Giants Causeway and is simply another great addition to the area.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rubbish - it only is for a tiny section, the money would be better spent on real long term job creation, not on a flash in the pan scheme to benefit a few elite.
    Last edited by Starfire; 28th February 2013 at 03:45 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I highly doubt they are going to build the golf course on the Giant's Causeway.

The link says that it falls "within the four kilometer zone which Unesco has placed around the stones."

My guess is that it just barely falls into that area, probably being 3-4 kilometers away from the Giant's Causeway. Otherwise they'd have specifically said it was closer to strengthen their argument. That being the case, I don't have a problem with the development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Golf tourism is big business, it will pull money into NI which will help sustain jobs in the tourist industry. We have to exploit are natural environment to the max extent possible but in a suatainable way, I really don't see the problem with the proposed golf course and suspect that much of the complaints are to do with people not liking the idea of rich Americans and their like, flying in to play a round or 2 of golf.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Excellent news.

Barren fields turned into a top class golf course and a top hotel,to service the north coast.Four World class courses within a short drive,will do nothing but increase tourism to NI.

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hopefully it will put pressure on the local communities to clean up the roads on the way up to The Causeway! Last time I visited there with a tourist, the roads near it made Broughshane look like Florence.
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DT123 View Post
    Excellent news.

Barren fields turned into a top class golf course and a top hotel,to service the north coast.Four World class courses within a short drive,will do nothing but increase tourism to NI.
    I admire your optimism but I think it's misplaced. At present there are 3 great golf courses in the locality, how does the addition of one more become the catalyst to boost the tourist numbers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
    Rubbish - it only is for a tiny section, the money would be better spent on real long term job creation, not on a flash in the pan scheme to benefit a few elite.

Disgraceful indeed considering the child poverty stats published last week that exist in the occupied zone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast