Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Independant councillor refuses to resign over shocking remarks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Independant councillor refuses to resign over shocking remarks.

An Independent councillor from Cornwall a MR. Collin Brewer, made startling remarks about putting down disabled children as they were too costly

The comment was made to Theresa Court, advice services manager of Disability Cornwall which complained to the council's standards committee.

Ms Court said: 'I was absolutely horrified anyone would make such a depraved comment, let alone a Cornwall councillor at a public event.

'As far as I was concerned, I had a duty to make a formal complaint against Councillor Brewer to seek appropriate justice.'

Her charity had a stand at an information event in Truro in October 2011. She was on hand to tell councillors about the issues they face and the work they do with parents of children with special needs.

Mr Brewer approached the stand, where there were parents of disabled children, and asked what the charity did. According to Ms Court he said that children with special needs cost too much money.

Read more: 'Disabled children cost too much and should be put down': Bizarre rant by councillor to disability charity | Mail Online

So should the councillor resign or is he right to brazen it out and dismiss the furore?
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was a thread here recently where some posters agreed with abortions in the UK for foetuses with club foot or other disabilities. When you start with eugenicist thoughts like that towards unborn children it is not much of a stretch that certain people will have the same view of children and young adults with disabilities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Moloney View Post
    There was a thread here recently where some posters agreed with abortions in the UK for foetuses with club foot or other disabilities. When you start with eugenicist thoughts like that towards unborn children it is not much of a stretch that certain people will have the same view of children and young adults with disabilities.
    and the elderly and anyone who is a burden on society...
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Glen Hoddle has just donated five grand to his re-election campaign.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He is not alone.

In the article, she wrote: 'It is time to suggest that these so-called Paralympics . . . are - well, one hesitates to say "grotesque". One will only say "perverse"…Surely physical competition is about finding the best - the fastest, strongest, highest, all that. It is not about finding someone who can wobble his way around a track in a wheelchair, or who can swim from one end of a pool to the other by Braille.' She advised the disabled and blind to 'play to your competitive advantage' and added: 'In other words, Stephen Hawking shows his wisdom by staying out of the three-legged race.' Mary Ellen Synon

Should he resign - no. Would I vote for him - no.
    “That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens

he's finished
    i owe my allegiance only to the working class

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The said councillor probably wishes he was alive when Hitler was in power in Germany.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Whats the differance

Quote Originally Posted by zakalwe1 View Post
    and the elderly and anyone who is a burden on society...
    what the differance in saying that , and having a child aborted just because it has Downs

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If he's not gone in the next election I'll be astonished and disgusted.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder are the same PC brigade showing faux outrage at this the very same crowd who would happily advocate abortions for mothers whose babies are diagnosed with disabilities before being born?

I'd bet my own life on it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast