Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The resignation of Paul Elliott, FA anti-racism campaigner- racism or worst insult possible?

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The resignation of Paul Elliott, FA anti-racism campaigner- racism or worst insult possible?

An issue has come up on another thread which makes me wonder whether Paul Elliott was being racist when he sent a derogatory text to Richard Rufus during a heated argument over a failed business deal. 'The Football Association has accepted the resignation of anti-racism campaigner Paul Elliott from all his positions within the organisation after he made “discriminatory abusive comments”.' Paul Elliott quits FA post after Richard Rufus race row - News & Comment - Football - The Independent

Given the recent furore over the John Terry affair are we now in a position where anyone in a heated argument throwing the worst insult possible can be accused of racism?

Or do other posters feel that sometimes the worst racist insults are thrown not for racist reasons but to hurt as much as possible?
    Last edited by LamportsEdge; 27th February 2013 at 06:37 PM.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LamportsEdge View Post
    An issue has come up on another thread which makes me wonder whether Paul Elliot was being racist when he sent a derogatory text to Richard Rufus during a heated argument over a failed business deal. 'The Football Association has accepted the resignation of anti-racism campaigner Paul Elliott from all his positions within the organisation after he made “discriminatory abusive comments”.' Paul Elliott quits FA post after Richard Rufus race row - News & Comment - Football - The Independent

Given the recent furore over the John Terry affair are we now in a position where anyone in a heated argument throwing the worst insult possible can be accused of racism?

Or do other posters feel that sometimes the worst racist insults are thrown not for racist reasons but to hurt as much as possible?
    Paul Elliot is black too.

Deserves the sack for being a complete moron though.

Nice to see one of the people feasting on the racism gravy train getting tripped up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought it was interesting that the FA made the statement about '“discriminatory abusive comments'.

Are the FA really under the impression that Paul Elliot, a very fine player by the way in his day, is actually a 'racist'? I'm aware he is black and this is what makes the whole thing interesting.

I mean the FA didn't say they accepted his resignation because he was stupid- they actually seemed to say it was because of 'discriminatory' comments.

Does the FA believe Paul Elliott was exhibiting discriminatory behaviour?
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What did he say?

Damn you Dean saunders
    i owe my allegiance only to the working class

Politics.ie Member friendlyfire's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is a pity has been at the forefront for years...wish him well in the future.
    Stupidity is far more fascinating than intelligence, after all intelligence has it's limits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    What did he say?
    Probably unrepeatable on this forum to be honest. But I have heard it was as vile a comment as you can imagine. The thing is that Paul Elliott has been at the forefront of the Kick Racism Out campaign for years and clearly he isn't a racist. But the FA statement seems to indicate that his use of a racist term in an argument/text with Richard Rufus means he can't front the campaign or work at the FA any longer.

I don't think for one second Elliott is a racist- it would be bizarre. So why did the FA accept his resignation for 'discriminatory' comments when they must know he doesn't discriminate on grounds of race?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does this mean that in a children's playground- which can be cruel places in terms of taunts- one child uses a racist term to another then they must be racist? Or are they just using the cruellest insult they can find in the heat of a moment?

It is a strange one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LamportsEdge View Post
    Does this mean that in a children's playground- which can be cruel places in terms of taunts- one child uses a racist term to another then they must be racist? Or are they just using the cruellest insult they can find in the heat of a moment?
    Children as young as three years old, are being reported by schools to local authorities for using racist and homophobic language which brands them as bigots.
    Op-Ed: Nursery school children reported for racist language in UK

One kid calls another a gaylord & his name is entered into a file. Creepy.
    Last edited by bob3344; 27th February 2013 at 06:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One wonders when an upset teenage girl shouting 'I hate you!' at her parents will be prosecuted for threatening behaviour.

This thing of slapping labels on people who say something stupid in the heat of an argument- which invariably they will hate themselves and end up apologising for is going too far in my opinion.

Paul Elliott was a very good speaker on issues around football and football culture and I'm not sure he should have been forced to resign.

Why wasn't he given the opportunity to apologise and explain that in the heat of the moment in the middle of an argument that he lost the run of himself he said something he shouldn't have done in order to hurt?

I don't believe for a moment that anyone around football or wider society thinks that Paul Elliott discriminates on the grounds of race. It is absurd. The Kick It Out campaign and the FA have lost a good advocate on silly grounds.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast