Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: So the EU will still make Irish fishermen waste half a million tonnes of fish per year for dog food.

  1. #1
    Dylan2010
    Guest

    Default So the EU will still make Irish fishermen waste half a million tonnes of fish per year for dog food.

    So the "success" of the phasing out of discards was being trumpeted on the news this morning with Covney sounding quite bullish, I cant see why. How is diverting a quarter of a tonne of fish per family per year for dog food and fish meal a good thing? The fish is perfectly editable and if they were being given out free I'm sure even Irish people would develop a taste for fish.

    just think about it for a bit, Irish fishermen have been forced to waste half a million tonnes a fish per year and they will still be wasted after this agreement if they are not for human consumption. should we start eating dog food?







    BBC News - Fish discards ban 'may be diluted'
    In a review of global discarding, the UN noted that the north-east Atlantic had the highest discard level in the world, estimated at 1.3 million tonnes - the majority attributed to the EU. The Commission estimates that 23% of all fish caught by EU vessels are discarded.

    Discussions at the Fisheries Council may last into the night, although on a less contentious note, ministers are likely to re-commit to better technology to prevent unwanted fish being caught in the first place

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member dizillusioned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The World
    Posts
    14,778
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    So the "success" of the phasing out of discards was being trumpeted on the news this morning with Covney sounding quite bullish, I cant see why. How is diverting half a tonne of fish per family per year for dog food and fish meal a good thing? The fish is perfectly editable and if they were being given out free I'm sure even Irish people would develop a taste for fish.

    just think about it for a bit, Irish fishermen have been forced to waste half a million tonnes a fish per year and they will still be wasted after this agreement if they are not for human consumption. should we start eating dog food?
    Never knew fish was editable.... still... this is such a waste, fish (which I cannot aide) should be given away to those who need it, Dog food and fishmeal? Still I suppose it takes away from the Horsemeat saga.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    So the "success" of the phasing out of discards was being trumpeted on the news this morning with Covney sounding quite bullish, I cant see why. How is diverting a quarter of a tonne of fish per family per year for dog food and fish meal a good thing? The fish is perfectly editable and if they were being given out free I'm sure even Irish people would develop a taste for fish.

    just think about it for a bit, Irish fishermen have been forced to waste half a million tonnes a fish per year and they will still be wasted after this agreement if they are not for human consumption. should we start eating dog food?







    BBC News - Fish discards ban 'may be diluted'
    Huge percentage of discards are the size of your finger and assorted rubbish. I see on the news a fisherman throwing a box of cod overboard because he didn't have quota. In my years working on trawlers I have never seen that happen. In my opinion it is all too little too late anyway.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Hewson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On the horizon
    Posts
    8,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    This is one of those disgusting obscenities that shows the EU superstructure up for the dumb, bloated, overpaid, over-pensioned, inept and disjointed corcus that it is.

    In a world groaning under the weight of malnutrition and need this practise has been going on for years.

    It's utterly vile.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
    This is one of those disgusting obscenities that shows the EU superstructure up for the dumb, bloated, overpaid, over-pensioned, inept and disjointed corcus that it is.

    In a world groaning under the weight of malnutrition and need this practise has been going on for years.

    It's utterly vile.
    Absolutely pathetic response Hewson. It is a worldwide practice that has been happening for as long as people have gone to sea to catch fish.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    54,499
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    So the "success" of the phasing out of discards was being trumpeted on the news this morning with Covney sounding quite bullish, I cant see why. How is diverting a quarter of a tonne of fish per family per year for dog food and fish meal a good thing? The fish is perfectly editable and if they were being given out free I'm sure even Irish people would develop a taste for fish.

    just think about it for a bit, Irish fishermen have been forced to waste half a million tonnes a fish per year and they will still be wasted after this agreement if they are not for human consumption. should we start eating dog food?







    BBC News - Fish discards ban 'may be diluted'
    Why stop with the fish? What about the beef scraps and waste that goes into dogfood? Why not just abolish dogfood altogether?

    The fact is that all meat/fish processing has waste in it, and if this waste can be turned into a commercially viable product that must be a good thing. Indeed, these by-products might just have the effect of keeping the prices of the human food a little more affordable by making the processing more economically sound.

    Most of it is not anything you or I would consider eating, but it seems that you'd have us feed it to the poor regardless. Why not just ensure that they have enough of an income to be able to eat decent food?
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

  7. #7
    Dylan2010
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    Why stop with the fish? What about the beef scraps and waste that goes into dogfood? Why not just abolish dogfood altogether?

    The fact is that all meat/fish processing has waste in it, and if this waste can be turned into a commercially viable product that must be a good thing. Indeed, these by-products might just have the effect of keeping the prices of the human food a little more affordable by making the processing more economically sound.

    Most of it is not anything you or I would consider eating, but it seems that you'd have us feed it to the poor regardless. Why not just ensure that they have enough of an income to be able to eat decent food?
    I have no problem with waste fish which has no commercial value for humans being used for other purposes, but the problem is fish which can be being dumped. I didnt imagine the fisherman giving away fish to the public free down in Waterford or Wexford?

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,270
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The notion that fishermen who make their livelihood selling fish for people to eat could or should be encouraged to give fish away for free seems fanciful.
    This scheme seems to make a bad situation less bad, and if it encourages new fishing methods that would cut down on wasteful catches all the better

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    12,331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    I have no problem with waste fish which has no commercial value for humans being used for other purposes, but the problem is fish which can be being dumped. I didnt imagine the fisherman giving away fish to the public free down in Waterford or Wexford?
    While that seems like an obvious no-brainer, if you're going to have quotas, then they can't just be "eh, try not to exceed this limit, but, heck, if you do...". And we do need to have quotas one way or another, because otherwise the pressure of modern fishing will strip the seas of fish in even less time than it's currently on track to do.

    Personally, I favour a personal tradeable quota, so if you've caught more than your quota, you have some chance to buy more quota and make some profit on the extra fish. I don't think it's technologically impossible to implement such a system.
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

  10. #10
    Dylan2010
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManUnited View Post
    Absolutely pathetic response Hewson. It is a worldwide practice that has been happening for as long as people have gone to sea to catch fish.
    you will need to explain then why one of the issues at the EU was ensuring the discarded fish wouldnt be sold commercially to the public and why some countries wanted the fish used for charitable purposes? This implies we are talking about fish that have a value to the general public.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •