Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bank Of Ireland Current Account Fees + Default setting Rip-Off

Politics.ie Member Monday Monday's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bank Of Ireland Current Account Fees + Default setting Rip-Off

This thread is more about "personal finances" than economy but please indulge me a little.

Consumer body criticises removal of free banking - The Irish Times - Tue, Sep 25, 2012

A spokeswoman for Bank of Ireland defended its decision not to issue news releases to the media about the bank charge changes or the mortgage interest rate increase and claimed that improvements to its online operation and the creation of banking apps for smartphones were costly and would have to be paid for by end users.
    I have linked back to criticism that one of Ireland's two vampire squids received when it quietly brought in the gouging of it's customers. I am one of the customers of this economic parasite as well as keeping it alive with my taxes (not to mention the future taxes of my children).

I received my first bank account charge notification yesterday and was very shocked at both the unit charge amounts (0.28 per transaction) but also, and here's the rub, the account defaults to the "pay by transaction" instead of the 11.40 for 90 transactions bundle which you can choose. We have a busy household account with two VISA cards and all the direct debits + direct credits set up on it. It is fairly easy to rack up more than 90 transactions in a three month period.

I just wanted to warn my fellow p.iers that this might be coming down the tracks for them. There was absolutely no postal notification sent to me by the Bank, nothing on their on-line portal except through a labyrinthine trawl through links and, as outlined above, the media campaign was non-existent. Caveat emptor. You can ring Banking365 and they can set your fee structure going forward but unfortunately they cannot retrospectively apply it to your account and, regretfully, have to pocket the money they gouge from you.

I asked the CSR in Banking365 if they have a customer complaints procedure and she informed me that they did. Then there was silence and I had to ask, "well what IS the procedure because I want to make a customer complaint." Then I was politely informed that I could make my complaint to her verbally and she assured me she would pass it on but I would never hear from them again as it was bank policy never to reply to customer complaints.

In fairness to her she was genuinely embarrassed to tell me of this.

So I intend to make the ultimate customer complaint and take my business elsewhere and I urge all Irish people to start treating their bank like they treat their car insurance broker.

Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 words
    allied irish bank
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Although I can understand your frustration about the default charges, I'm faintly surprised that you're surprised that the bank is trying to take your money-that's what banks do afterall. I'm with AIB and am waiting to see what their charges are going to be. Ulster Bank still offer free banking. They wanted to introduce charges last year but with the IT cock up they decided to hold off for another while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by southwestkerry View Post
    3 words
    allied irish bank
    Don't follow kerryman. AIB have charges in place too. 13 cent a transaction I think, unless your account has a constant balance exceeding 2500 euro, for which you receive no interest but do get 'free' banking.

Have a couple of accounts and just switch between them when necessary.

Politics.ie Member Monday Monday's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While the charges themselves are disgusting that's another matter I am more upset at the "sharp practice" of concealing the options available to minimise the charges I have to pay.

As for AIB, don't get me started. I said BOI is one of Ireland's two vampire squids. Who do you think the other one is.

I have decided that the Irish way of doing things doesn't work any more. It's why our country is such a kip. Take the crap without a word and then moan to your mates afterwards.

From now on I am going to

1. Complain directly to the source of the rip off and inform them I am taking my custom elsewhere.
    2. Move my business to a competitor
    3. Let everyone I know hear about the poor service I got at company A.

Compare The Best Current Accounts in Ireland on bonkers.ie

Quote Originally Posted by Monday Monday View Post
    ...... I urge all Irish people to start treating their bank like they treat their car insurance broker.
    But I treat my Car insurance broker very politely, he's a very nice man.

Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgellons View Post
    Don't follow kerryman. AIB have charges in place too. 13 cent a transaction I think, unless your account has a constant balance exceeding 2500 euro, for which you receive no interest but do get 'free' banking.
    I was taking the Mikael out off AIB... they are just as bad.
    swk
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monday Monday View Post
    While the charges themselves are disgusting that's another matter I am more upset at the "sharp practice" of concealing the options available to minimise the charges I have to pay.

As for AIB, don't get me started. I said BOI is one of Ireland's two vampire squids. Who do you think the other one is.

I have decided that the Irish way of doing things doesn't work any more. It's why our country is such a kip. Take the crap without a word and then moan to your mates afterwards.

From now on I am going to

1. Complain directly to the source of the rip off and inform them I am taking my custom elsewhere.
    2. Move my business to a competitor
    3. Let everyone I know hear about the poor service I got at company A.

Compare The Best Current Accounts in Ireland on bonkers.ie
    Good site that-thanks. I think I'll change to Ulster Bank because they're free. I do like the AIB online banking website though-very clear and easy to follow. I'm sure Ulster Bank offer online banking too though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by southwestkerry View Post
    I was taking the Mikael out off AIB... they are just as bad.
    swk
    Ah, flew right over my head that one. Ulster Bank don't charge-for now that is anyway. might switch to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast