Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Red Cross cuts blood supply to Greece

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Swiss Red Cross cuts blood supply to Greece

The news from Greece isn't getting any better. It has emerged this afternoon that the Swiss Red Cross is so concerned about unpaid bills from the Greek government that it is sharply reducing its bloody supply to the crisis-hit Mediterranean country.

The SWiss Red Cross is a non-profit entity but was worried about the financial risk it was exposed to with Greece. While outstanding bills have now been cleared, it's believed that the time taken to obtain payment has led to this highly unusual decision.

Swiss Red Cross cuts blood supply to broke Greece - RTÉ News

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very sad. I came across a quite graphic story a few months ago in relation to this.

Dylan2010

are they still making those payments to the Germans for those pointless subs they bought a few years back..I'm sure they come first.

Politics.ie Member dizillusioned's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

You cannot do anything in Greece at the moment without cash.

Hospitals want payment for everything, the insurance companies are not paying the hospitals, the patient is forced to pay everything at this stage.

While I know many have little sympathy for Greece and all the tax issues etc., there ARE people in dire need there. Athens is like something from a war zone. Between Syntagma and Omonea Squares the amount of derelict shops and burnt out cinemas is staggering. I think in that almost 1 mile walk, there are a handful of shops. Huge premises lay empty, the main shopping street has many boarded up stores. Even Thenasis in Monestaraki is deadly quite (this has been selling souvlaki for donkeys years (no pun intended))

The whole city is closed stores and empty buildings. People cannot afford the assessments on apartment buildings for oil and hence there is no heat.

On a people level, you have to be very worried for many in Greece

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dizillusioned View Post
    You cannot do anything in Greece at the moment without cash.

Hospitals want payment for everything, the insurance companies are not paying the hospitals, the patient is forced to pay everything at this stage.

While I know many have little sympathy for Greece and all the tax issues etc., there ARE people in dire need there. Athens is like something from a war zone. Between Syntagma and Omonea Squares the amount of derelict shops and burnt out cinemas is staggering. I think in that almost 1 mile walk, there are a handful of shops. Huge premises lay empty, the main shopping street has many boarded up stores. Even Thenasis in Monestaraki is deadly quite (this has been selling souvlaki for donkeys years (no pun intended))

The whole city is closed stores and empty buildings. People cannot afford the assessments on apartment buildings for oil and hence there is no heat.

On a people level, you have to be very worried for many in Greece

Quote Originally Posted by Iphonista View Post
    The news from Greece isn't getting any better. It has emerged this afternoon that the Swiss Red Cross is so concerned about unpaid bills from the Greek government that it is sharply reducing its bloody supply to the crisis-hit Mediterranean country.

The SWiss Red Cross is a non-profit entity but was worried about the financial risk it was exposed to with Greece. While outstanding bills have now been cleared, it's believed that the time taken to obtain payment has led to this highly unusual decision.

Swiss Red Cross cuts blood supply to broke Greece - RTÉ News
    No it is not. There is no such thing.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know it sounds harsh but when you look at stuff like corruption and ease of doing business, there is no reason why Greece should have a GDP per capita roughly twice that of its neighbours. Indeed if anything, Greece should be poorer than them

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Heneberry View Post
    No it is not. They is no such thing.
    I'm just quoting RTE. Why should there be no such thing as a non profit making entity?

Quote Originally Posted by Iphonista View Post
    I'm just quoting RTE. Why should there be no such thing as a non profit making entity?
    if a company doesn't make a profit it goes out of business, that goes for charities as well.

Anyway, I don't want to take away from the plight of the Greeks so I think we should stay on topic.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast