Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: King O'Conor Don of the Free State?

Politics.ie Member Little_Korean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default King O'Conor Don of the Free State?

Was reading an article on an entirely different topic (Edward the Bruce's wars in medieval Ireland) when I came across this titbit:

Yet the notion of an Ó Conchobair king of Connacht or Ireland died hard. In 1643, a member of the family was alleged to have been inaugurated at Carnfree, just as had Fedlimid in 1309 and Ruaidrí in 1315. During the rural disturbances of the 1820s, an invitation was sent by locals to Matthew O’Conor Don, wishing to make him their king and represent their grievances. As late as 1919, members of the first Dail seriously considered giving the crown of Ireland to the then O’Conor Don.

That the position eventually became that of an elective president rather than a hereditary king – as is the case in republics such as Spain – had less to do with Irish notions of republicanism as with the then O’Conor Don, who politely refused for reasons of his own.
    Woah, woah, woah...what?

Could we have ended up with King O'Conor Don of the Free State, with an Oath of Allegiance of a very different sort?

Anyone know anything else about this somewhat unusual footnote in Irish republicanism, such as who in the Dail supported this motion?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Should I be surprised that as late as 1820s, that local memory preserved the idea of the O'Conors as monarchs of Connacht? Funny old lot we are.
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riadach View Post
    Should I be surprised that as late as 1820s, that local memory preserved the idea of the O'Conors as monarchs of Connacht? Funny old lot we are.
    Or on 1919, on the cusp of republicanism???

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Korean View Post
    Or on 1919, on the cusp of republicanism???
    That's less remarkable, given how much of those involved were exposed to the scholarship of the period. Not something that can be said for the average tater hoker in the 1820s.

It certainly wasn't the first time that supposed republicans had nominated aristocrats for the kingship of Ireland.
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some Irish nationalists considered offering the title of King of Ireland to Prince Joachim of Prussia.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the current Ó Conchubhair Donn like his father were both born in England. They do at least have an unbroken line. The problem really for the O'Connors is that they disolved into factionism in the 14th/15th centuries and became rather minor players. Been divided into two main branches (The O'Connor's of Sligo were earlier Branch) these been Donn and Rua.

Of course the Donn line is directly descended from Tairrdelbach Ua Conchobair (High King of Ireland) via his son Cathal Crobhdearg Ua Conchobair (King of Connacht).

Ruaidhrí who was Cathal's older brother doesn't have any recognised descendants mainly as his line was basically obliterated during the 13th century between the fighting among the O'Connors and the arrival of the Normans into Connacht under the De Burgo's (Burkes)
    Y Chromosome Haplogroup: R1b-L21+/DF41+
    Mitochondrial DNA Haplogroup: U4*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch 22 View Post
    Some Irish nationalists considered offering the title of King of Ireland to Prince Joachim of Prussia.

Wasn't that more during the 1916 Rising, should they win and be faced with a German-dominated Europe and a need to appease their 'Glorious Allies' by adopting on their (minor) royalty?

As far I've read, the offer to make O’Conor Don king or Ard Ri or whatever was entirely an indigenous one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Funny when you think that O'Connors and Connors is one of the larger of the traveller clans yet they reckon they are of a different ethnicity to the rest of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Korean View Post
    Was reading an article on an entirely different topic (Edward the Bruce's wars in medieval Ireland) when I came across this titbit:

Woah, woah, woah...what?

Could we have ended up with King O'Conor Don of the Free State, with an Oath of Allegiance of a very different sort?

Anyone know anything else about this somewhat unusual footnote in Irish republicanism, such as who in the Dail supported this motion?
    I'm 100% certain I read somewhere that De Valera thought about make some O'Brien "High King of Ireland" because he was the most senior descendant of Brian Boru. I can't remember the source, I'll see can I get it later.

He did say he wasn't a 'doctrinaire republican' and wikipedia (I know) gives us this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In 1948 the government suggested that there should be a "Council" of chiefs, accredited by the Herald, for emotive reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by an Toimíneach View Post
    I'm 100% certain I read somewhere that De Valera thought about make some O'Brien "High King of Ireland" because he was the most senior descendant of Brian Boru. I can't remember the source, I'll see can I get it later.
    Would we then have another civil war over the O'Connor and O'Brien lines? To remain true to our history?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast