Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: AHCPS call for a no to Croke Park 2.

Default AHCPS call for a no to Croke Park 2.

No surprise really BUT this ia union that didn't walk out, and ironically, their members were the ones on the official side doing the negotiating.

Higher Pay

The major elements that affects AHCPS grades are pay cuts for medium and higher paid staff. The union position was that we were opposed to pay cuts. However, the Official Side was clear that this was a political decision and the Government will legislate for it regardless.

The details were not outlined until the final plenary session this morning at 10.15am.

The cuts will be progressive and the Official Side believe will yield significant savings. The cuts will vary from 5.5% up to 10%.

For those earning (including allowances in the nature of pay) between:

€65k - €80k 5.5%
    €80k - €150k 8.0%
    €150k - €185k 9.0%
    €185k + 10.0%

The threshold will be €65k (including allowances in the nature of pay).

For those on salaries of between €65k and €100k there will be a pull back and freeze for the duration of the Agreement. For those over €100k there will be a pay cut.

For illustrative purposes a PO on €95k their salary will be pulled back by

5.5% on the first €80k and
    8% on the remaining €15k.
    They will remain on this salary for the duration of the Agreement.

Other elements of the proposals are:

Hours:

Those employees currently working greater than 35 net hours will move to 39 net hours. Those on less than or equal to net 35 hours will move to 37 net hours. (AP and POs have a scheduled working week of 34.75 net hours) those working 39 hours or more (Prisons) there will be no change.

Flexible Working Arrangements (Flexitime)

The Official Side proposals initially proposed that FWA would not apply to staff at AP or above. After discussion and with the assistance of the LRC the following was proposed “FWA will not apply to Staff at the Assistant Principal Officer grade and its equivalents in the Civil Service and other sectors, except for those staff that already have this arrangement. In these cases the staff concerned will not be eligible to avail of flexi leave."

Increments

This impacts on those below €65k. For those on less then €35k there will be one 3 month incremental pay pause. (i.e. there will be one 15 month, rather than 12 month duration before moving along pay scale)

For those between €35k and €65k there will be two, 3 months incremental pay pauses.

For those on the max point or LSI points of the scale (salaries below €65k) there are proposals relating to reduction in annual leave or cash equivalent for duration of agreement.
    A 5.5% pay cut for APs, similar pension cuts, longer working hours (many were well in advance of this anyway) but also the loss of flexi leave - a particularly difficult cut for APs who had work pattersn built around childcare provisions. The Government really did a number on the family friendly policies, very soon after the abolishment of the creche scheme.

The PO's above would prefer the a flat cut....

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

These two facts from the statement simply astonish me:

1. AP and POs have a scheduled working week of 34.75 net hours

2. For illustrative purposes a PO on €95k
    So prior to this deal there were Principal Officers on €95,000 p/a for a 34.75 hour working week?

Dear Lord.
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Peaks View Post

So prior to this deal there were Principal Officers on €95,000 p/a for a 34.75 hour working week?

Dear Lord.
    to be fair, and no lover of PO's, the ones I've worked for were doing 45-50+ hours a week. You get the exception obviously, but most, as per APs and so on, always did well above the contracted minimum. My wife's private sector contract says 37.5, but she does 40+ - jjst because thats what contarct states AS MINIMUM doesnt mean thats what they were doing.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Peaks View Post

Dear Lord.
    Presumably that's net hours, so they were working as near to a 40-hour week as makes no difference. Anyway POs are paid for what they're doing, not how long they sit behind their desks. Its a graduate position with a fair bit of responsibility, they're not the sort who clock out when a bell goes.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member b.a. baracus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    Presumably that's net hours, so they were working as near to a 40-hour week as makes no difference. Anyway POs are paid for what they're doing, not how long they sit behind their desks. Its a graduate position with a fair bit of responsibility, they're not the sort who clock out when a bell goes.
    PO is far from a graduate position, it is senior management! Only 2 steps above that - Assistant Secretary and the boss of the Department the Secretary General.
    I ain't gettin' on no plane

Quote Originally Posted by civilserpant View Post
    to be fair, and no lover of PO's, the ones I've worked for were doing 45-50+ hours a week. You get the exception obviously, but most, as per APs and so on, always did well above the contracted minimum. My wife's private sector contract says 37.5, but she does 40+ - jjst because thats what contarct states AS MINIMUM doesnt mean thats what they were doing.
    Did your wife get paid overtime for putting in those extra hours?
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern manís existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    I know what net hours are and what a PO is/does, my point is that many in the private sector are working 10/15% longer hours than this for 25% less in salary at similiar levels of delivery expectation.
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."