Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: The ethics of posthumous parenthood

Default The ethics of posthumous parenthood

A woman sought to have a child with her husband, but before they could begin to plan a family, he was diagnosed with cancer. He donated sperm while recovering, but went into relapse and died. Prior to his decease, he stated in writing his desire that the sperm should be used for procreation, but the sperm bank now intends to destroy the cells, as a legal prohibition exists on the use of deposits from a dead donor. Frankly, I feel it would be more morally and ethically sound to support the potential creation of life, rather than engage in a process that would result in its willful obstruction.

Of course, the extended families of both husband and wife may have reservations about the process, but ultimately the wishes of the couple should take precedence. More pressing, perhaps, might be the impact on the child of knowing it was deliberately brought into existence without the support of a father. The nuclear family would be the ideal situation out of all possible circumstances, but surrogacy and fathering of children by gay men for lesbian couples already demonstrate that the traditional parenting model doesn't suit all potential situations.
    My political compass:
    Economic Left/Right: -5.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

Dylan2010

is this a made up example? either way the only ethical problem I'd have is a welfare problem, allowing a situation where the wish will create a deliberate buden on the taxpayer in extra welfare payments. But otherwise cant see why there should be particular rules against it.

No, they were discussing it on the Ray D'Arcy Show this morning, a number of lawyers offered to help her get an injunction.
    My political compass:
    Economic Left/Right: -5.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is this a real or hypothetical situation?

I'd agree with your synopsis with caveats. As long as the mother has solid support for raising the child herself, can provide for him/her and the child would to some extent grow up around father-like male role models (e.g. grandfather(s) with a good few years left in life) then I don't see an issue.

From a broader utilitarian perspective you'd expect that this would be such a rare occurance that it would not yield single mother subculture the Daily Mail could rant at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suppose it would save on Christmas presents.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quite a mindfuk for someone to consider that a parent was dead before they were conceived...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.