Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Steorn still sticking with their story -- science subverted!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Steorn still sticking with their story -- science subverted!

Despite their well-publicized failure to come up with the goods in July, the small Irish technology company Steorn are still claiming that they will demonstrate a new machine that subverts the most basic laws of science.

They're saying that their "Orbo" machine -- a sort of wheel with a special arrangement of magnets -- creates energy out of nothing. According to them, once it's up and running, it outputs energy indefinitely, and this energy can be used for all sorts of purposes.

I have to say that Steorn are brilliant at selling themselves, and fantastically persistent. They should be in politics! But you have to wonder how long the investors are going to persist, unless Steorn come up with something that works, something other than Orbo, that is.

Until their planned public demo failed miserably on July 5th in London, this small group of people had garnered more world attention in a few months than just about any Irish individual or group in history. (U2 took years to "conquer" the world...)

Hype can take you a long way. And maybe it's not simply deception. Maybe the Steorn people really believe that they have made a breakthrough. They certainly act like it. Yes, at the very least it's great acting. And that deserves our praise.

There was a thread about this before, here.
    15 Jan 2001 -- Fine Gael pledged to end fluoridation because of "serious health concerns".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've been following them ever since they put that ad in The Economist. I really, really hope they're right, for three reasons:

1:It will solve the world's energy crisis, with Peak Oil, Coal and Gas on the way. 200% energy efficencies from little trinkets like these will turn these Everests of problems into insignificant drumlins.

2:It will transform the reputation of Ireland's technology industry. Forget Google, these boys will be the one to watch.

3:The exports, spin-off industries and tax revenue created by this here in Ireland will be a powerful boost to our economy.
    Private profit for public gain!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Or it could be a national embarassment.
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I were a lad I'ad a book full of strange stories about disappearances, money pits 'n stuff.
    One of the tales were about a man what invented a perpetual motion machine, a wheel what never stopped spinnin'...once it were started, like. He gave demonstrations of it everywhere and were rebuffed, 'e were. 'is final demonstration were when the wheel were started in a windowless room and the room were sealed. When it were opened again months later, well blow me if weren't spinnin' still an' fast as ever it 'ad. Once again 'is claims were rejected only this time 'e took an axe to the machine and smashed it ter smithereens. 'e then vanished never to be seen again.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobb
    When I were a lad I'ad a book full of strange stories about disappearances, money pits 'n stuff.
    One of the tales were about a man what invented a perpetual motion machine, a wheel what never stopped spinnin'...once it were started, like. He gave demonstrations of it everywhere and were rebuffed, 'e were. 'is final demonstration were when the wheel were started in a windowless room and the room were sealed. When it were opened again months later, well blow me if weren't spinnin' still an' fast as ever it 'ad. Once again 'is claims were rejected only this time 'e took an axe to the machine and smashed it ter smithereens. 'e then vanished never to be seen again.
    Exactly, I say we should give them the benefit of the doubt while they put the finishing touches on the device.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know one of the investors in Steorn and he swears that it works!
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” Napoléon Bonaparte

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPN
    Reminds me of that song by the one who were decapitated, you know, the one about the bloke in the chippy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Really? Could you persuade them to come on here and tell us how? I'd love to actually hear from them and not get all my info through the media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did he say what convinced him?
    15 Jan 2001 -- Fine Gael pledged to end fluoridation because of "serious health concerns".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The fact that the 'Steorn' story is still being discussed suggests to me that some of the basic principles of physics are not being properly taught in our primary and secondary schools. 'Knowledge Economy' my hole.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast