Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Huge Rise in Electricity Bills. Why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Huge Rise in Electricity Bills. Why?

I know nothing about economy and I was going to put this thread in Chat, but decided to risk a slap on the wrist from Mods by opening thread here to find out why Electricity has shot up in price so much, when I believed that the ESB or whatever they call themselves these days, were doing very well. Between that and the private companies looking to take over our household bills at deduced costs, I don't understand this increase at all. We have always been told that competition within such sectors is good for the customer! Not so!

Coming on top of this rise is the slashing of free electric units for those on Disability, or like myself on Invalidity Pension. I got my bill yesterday. I expected a rise due to the cold weather, but a rise of €100 since my last bill??? That seems extreme to me.

Anyone else get "shocking" electricity bills?
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results: I present, The Irish politcal system: Thank you Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yip nearly died after opening the bill on Monday! Government want us all back on earnings of 2006 , want welfare at 2009 levels and bills at 2013 levels. It doesn't take much to know that it can't be done, with water and household taxes on the way.
    Last edited by tigerben; 26th February 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Owl View Post
    when I believed that the ESB or whatever they call themselves these days, were doing very well
    ESB/Electric Ireland is getting ready to be sold. They need to get their profit margins up.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    ESB/Electric Ireland is getting ready to be sold. They need to get their profit margins up.
    In fairness, there two basic ways of doing that. ESB technical staff are notoriously well paid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    In fairness, there two basic ways of doing that. ESB technical staff are notoriously well paid.
    I'm sure they don't want union trouble when going to market. Better to demonstrate how easy it is to put up prices. Its the Eircom approach - works a charm.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Havent had my bill yet but im expecting a large one. Owl,its possible your last bill was estimated and this bill was a meter reading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    They are also notoriously efficient, highly skilled, work all hours of the day and night and have a very dangerous job.

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Owl View Post
    I know nothing about economy and I was going to put this thread in Chat, but decided to risk a slap on the wrist from Mods by opening thread here to find out why Electricity has shot up in price so much, when I believed that the ESB or whatever they call themselves these days, were doing very well. Between that and the private companies looking to take over our household bills at deduced costs, I don't understand this increase at all. We have always been told that competition within such sectors is good for the customer! Not so!

Coming on top of this rise is the slashing of free electric units for those on Disability, or like myself on Invalidity Pension. I got my bill yesterday. I expected a rise due to the cold weather, but a rise of €100 since my last bill??? That seems extreme to me.

Anyone else get "shocking" electricity bills?
    Do you follow the stories in the papers about wholesale gas prices?

This is a good guide:

How the £300bn a year wholesale gas market operates | Business | The Guardian

Most electricity cost prices track gas.

Energia produce a very good daily guide:

http://www.energia.ie/uploads/docume...00958%20AM.pdf
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seanmacc View Post
    They are also notoriously efficient, highly skilled, work all hours of the day and night and have a very dangerous job.
    I'm taking all that into account (where it applies).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is all part of that trying to get blood from a stone thing.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast