Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinn Féin Conference ‘A Century of Workers in Struggle 1913-2013’ - March 2nd

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Sinn Féin Conference ‘A Century of Workers in Struggle 1913-2013’ - March 2nd

SF are organising a major Conference this weekend to mark a century since the 1913 Lockout, perhaps the most significant event in Irish Industrial History, the 1913 Lockout.

This anniversary offers an excellent opportunity to reflect upon the struggles of workers in the past, and on the challenges facing workers today, both in Ireland and abroad.

The conference, entitled ‘A Century of Workers in Struggle 1913-2013’ is to take place on March the 2nd, 2013 in Liberty Hall in Dublin.

The Conference will hear from many of Ireland's key Trade Union leaders such as Jack O'Connor, Jimmy Kelly, Peter Bunting and John Douglas, journalists such as Eamon Dunphy, Frank Connolly and Gerry Flynn, workers from the Vita Cortex, Lagan Brick and Waterford Crystal disputes, Siobhán O'Donoghue of the MRCI, International Union Leaders, writers such as Brian Hanley and Conor McCabe, Sinn Fein leaders Gerry Adams and Mary Lou McDonald, and many more.

This event will be particularly interesting in light of the weekends developments.

I think it is fair to say that the Union Movement is very much at a crossroads, and the discussion on 'Trade Unionism and the Rights of Workers' will be very interesting in that context, particularly in light of participation of Jack O'Connor and Jimmy Kelly.

Could be an interesting event.

I thought this is a major conference on workers rights so what's Dunphy doing there? Was he not the champion of the small shareholder during the eircom debacle?

This must be the first time SF mentioned Larkin who had little time for nationalism as Larkin was an internationalist. I assume the conference will politiely ignore his advice "You cannot eat a flag".
    Chair has his work cut out in the 2nd session hoping to keep some of the listed speakers to share an hour. Interesting timing that gives Mary Lou 5 minutes more to speak than is allowed to Brian Hanley to set out the history of the lock out. Says it all really about SF and workers rights.
    Last edited by automaticforthepeople; 26th February 2013 at 01:24 AM.

Politics.ie Member Mr Aphorisms's Avatar
    Non-binary, Polysexual. Livin' in a safe space.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks really good. Would love to hear Brian Hanley. Fair play to Sinn Féin. Hopefully I'll get down to it. Cheers for the OP.
    I hate money making men - Alexander Hamilton

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought this is a major conference on workers rights so what's Dunphy doing there? Was he not the champion of the small shareholder during the eircom debacle?

This must be the first time SF mentioned Larkin who had little time for nationalism as Larkin was an internationalist. I assume the conference will politiely ignore his advice "You cannot eat a flag".
    Chair has his work cut out in the 2nd session hoping to keep someof the listed speakers to share an hour. Interesting timing that gives Mary Lou 5 minutes more to speak than is allowed to Brian Hanley to set out the history of the lock out. Says it all really about SF and workers rights.
    I suspect that whatever lineup you would be unsatisfied.

Dunphy is a journalist, and is there in that capacity, to chair a debate, as he has often done.

All the discussions will touch on the lockout, its at the heart of the discussion throughout the day, so it's hardly as if there will be no reference of it from speakers such as McCabe when Hanley has finished his general setting the scene.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by automaticforthepeople View Post
    Dunphy never did an honest days work in his life. Chasing a football, chasing women, partying, and talking.

And now Dunphy is on about "the workers".
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissett View Post
    I suspect that whatever lineup you would be unsatisfied.

Dunphy is a journalist, and is there in that capacity, to chair a debate, as he has often done.

Shane Ross attended the eircom shareholders meeting alongside Dunphy in his capacity as a journalist too. Eircom was a direct contradiction of everything that someone like Larkin stood for, He's worked for INM the true inheritors of the William Martin Murphy and publishers of the Indo the follow on for the Freemans Journal. Is it apporpriate to have 2 former journos from this stable 100 years on?

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

One wonders what the 'workers' would make of an average industrial expense account...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    One wonders what the 'workers' would make of an average industrial expense account...
    I presume that Gerry & Mary Lou will demand that the union head honchos take a cut in their salaries proportional to the reduction they've negotiated for their workers today? I assume Mary Lou will be locked in the cupboard rather than allowed out to repeat her critical remarks of public sector unions today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I presume that Gerry & Mary Lou will demand that the union head honchos take a cut in their salaries proportional to the reduction they've negotiated for their workers today? I assume Mary Lou will be locked in the cupboard rather than allowed out to repeat her critical remarks of public sector unions today.
    It would want to be a pretty large cupboard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chair has his work cut out in the 2nd session hoping to keep some of the listed speakers to share an hour. Interesting timing that gives Mary Lou 5 minutes more to speak than is allowed to Brian Hanley to set out the history of the lock out. Says it all really about SF and workers rights.
    Could you not see your way, AFTP, to at least give them a small credit for organising the event at least?
    The thing is, it's a commemoration, I would imagine, of 100 years of history, whereupon a whole lot has changed. What worked then, I would venture, doesn't work now. People who are overly critical of the trade union movement now might be surprised, nay, dismayed if they understood even a small portion of industrial relations law in this state, and how it is stacked against the union and the worker. I know I was when I undertook a shop steward's course some years ago and came to understand that ordinary workers have one hand tied behind their backs in any grievance with an employer.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast