Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Results circulating on internet show abrupt surge in support for Five Star Movement, which wants to reboot Italian politics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Results circulating on internet show abrupt surge in support for Five Star Movement, which wants to reboot Italian politics

All the evidence suggests that, when the result of Italy's general election is known later on Monday, it will be a deafening – and sensational – Basta! (That's enough!). The publication of polls in the last two weeks of the campaign is banned in Italy. But results circulating on the internet showed an abrupt surge in support for the Five Star Movement (M5S), which wants to force a reboot, not just of Italy's sleazy politics but of its cronyistic society too.

For the first time in 20 years, we have seen an election that has not been hijacked by the sayings and doings of Silvio Berlusconi. Instead, it has been seized by another, equally controversial figure – the M5S's barnstorming frontman, Beppe Grillo.
    The latest reported poll results come from surveys carried out a day or two ago. There are good reasons for thinking the M5S's final result will be even better than they suggest.

One is the likelihood that Grillo's massively attended final rally in Rome has generated last-minute momentum. Another is the weather.

Heavy snow has fallen across parts of northern and central Italy. More is forecast for Monday. There have been violent storms in the Mezzogiorno, southern Italy. And they could return.

Unsurprisingly, turnout is down. By midday, it was off by one and a half percentage points. And that favours the M5S.
    Italy elections: an end to sleaze and cronyism? | World news | guardian.co.uk

Could M5S actually pull off an actual victory today!? Wow!

Any thoughts on how this is gonna shake out in Europe in general?

Could Ireland benefit from a TRUE outsider party?

Lot's of questions...
    You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw39tcyg7So&sns=em

Dylan2010

its interesting that they are allowed vote over 2 days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As I understand it there's no Party (Grillo) just a movement seeking 'change' whatever that means.

I'll make a prediction Grillo and his ilk will get the seats form a party but eventually succumb to the grubby business that is politics.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

S--t >>> fan.

Is this going to be The Official Italian Election Results Thread?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I think one needs to be careful when reading the Guardian on this sort of thing. You have to remember that they want it to be real.

1. They're not going to win. The Democratic Party will be the largest party at the end of voting.

2. Looking at an individual party's result doesn't matter, you need to factor in their partners. So yes, M5S could finish above People of Freedom, but they're not going to finish above them + the Northern League + Great South etc.

3. People's political graves are marked with "We're going to be Silvio!" Until his head has been removed from his body and both are situated in concrete tankers 1000 miles apart, he can win.

4. Unless they're insane, if it's a close run thing they'll end up backing some sort of coalition between Monti and Bersani.

Unless of course Monti and Bersani's team just decide to ignore them. Which they can. M5S can't go in with the Right parties without destroying themselves. So the centre/left coalition can just ignore them utterly and have a much more stable governing role than they otherwise would.
    Last edited by Sync; 25th February 2013 at 01:32 PM.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The main thing is that Monti gets kicked square in the nuts for imposing Brussels-rule on a free people.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    The main thing is that Monti gets kicked square in the nuts for imposing Brussels-rule on a free people.
    I'm trying to decide what the reaction of the Irish would have been if a Taoiseach was appointed like Monti was in Italy.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member dizillusioned's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    I'm trying to decide what the reaction of the Irish would have been if a Taoiseach was appointed like Monti was in Italy.
    as usual nothing.... and we are not that far off already

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    Yeah much better to have left Silvio in charge.

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    If we appointed an ex-EU Commissioner as Taoiseach, which of our many Gems would we choose? Peter Sutherland? Padraig Flynn?

Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast