Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The IRA kidnap of Thomas Niedermayer

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The IRA kidnap of Thomas Niedermayer

RTE Radio 1 featured a a documentary tonight about the IRA adduction of Thomas Niedermayer in Belfast in 1973. Its an extraordinary tragic tale, even by Northern Ireland standards.

Neidermayer was sent from Germany to Belfast, with his wife and 2 daughters, as the Managing Director of the local Grundig factory.

The IRA targeted him for kidnap/ransom, and abducted him from this home. He was found several years later in shallow grave in a refuse dump. The suggestion at the time was that he had had a heart attack during the abduction and was dumped by his kidnappers.

His family never recovered from the trauma. They originally went back to Germany, but his wife came back to Ireland and committed suicided by simply walking into the sea in Bray. Both his daughters also committed suicide in later life.

The documentary can be downloaded as a podcast from here:

RT.ie Radio 1: Documentary on One - A Knock on the Door
    Last edited by goosebump; 25th February 2013 at 12:41 AM.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Tragic story......an evil business. Out of curiousity....Did Bertie tell them to commit suicide?
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    Did Bertie tell them to commit suicide?
    You're a ************************************g moron.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was an extraordinary and terribly tragic story all right. The recording of his wife's appeal to find out what happened to him was particularly poignant, I thought.

JD mispronouncing the family name, was kind of annoying though.

Of course...but some people dont take suicide seriously in this country.
    I think you should have included the former taoiseachs seemingly dismissive attitude to suicide in your OP. Bertie would surely have known about the misfortune of this family and others like it. Therefore I was surprised by what he said and surprised you did not mention it in an op containing 3 suicides.
    It is a tragic story of a family destroyed by our own inability to live in peace, no doubt about it.
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    Of course...but some people dont take suicide seriously in this country.
    I think you should have included the former taoiseachs seemingly dismissive attitude to suicide in your OP. Bertie would surely have known about the misfortune of this family and others like it. Therefore I was surprised by what he said and surprised you did not mention it in an op containing 3 suicides.
    It is a tragic story of a family destroyed by our own inability to live in peace, no doubt about it.
    You're still a ************************************g moron.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

has gerry said sorry for this yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I heard that documentary and it was so sad. A man kidnapped and his body only found years later, his wife couldn't deal with it and she went on to kill herself and then their two daughters kill themselves. Absolutely shocking chain of events
    Fight terror, support Israel!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by L'Chaim View Post
    I heard that documentary and it was so sad. A man kidnapped and his body only found years later, his wife couldn't deal with it and she went on to kill herself and then their two daughters kill themselves. Absolutely shocking chain of events
    Suicide rate in Palestine reaches record high | Arab Washingtonian
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now this is one of the reasons I stay out of many of the threads on here. Because there'll always be an idiot like you who, no matter what the thread is about, will see I've posted and immediately try to move the topic to the Israel-palestine conflict. Grow up!
    Fight terror, support Israel!

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast