Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 192

Thread: Nuclear Fusion in 4 years promises Lockheed Martin at Solve for X talk.

  1. #1

    Default Nuclear Fusion in 4 years promises Lockheed Martin at Solve for X talk.

    The by now infamous and fiendishly clever Lockheed Martin Skunkworks have recently gone public with a promise of a prototype 100MW Fusion power station within 4 years.

    Although in this Solve for X talk Lockheed do not claim to have yet attained fusion I find it perplexing that such a high profile yet secretive company would publicly announce a target date without having some certainty of being able to back up its claims.

    Has Human civilisation saved itself at the last minute yet again or is there another explanation for this announcement.

    This might be bad news for Eddie O Connor

    Until someone figures out a way to manufacture antimatter, fusion is by far the cleanest and most abundant source of power we can hope to harvest. We've known this for a long time, but fusion is hard, and it's expensive to build the giant lasers or toroidal plasma containment systems that are needed to get it to work. By most estimates, we're something like 40 years away from an operational fusion power plant.
    "Most estimates" do not, apparently, include research being done at Lockheed Martin's secretive advanced development center, Skunk Works. At Google's Solve For X, Charles Chase describes what his team has been working on: a trailer-sized fusion power plant that turns cheap and plentiful hydrogen (deuterium and tritium) into helium plus enough energy to power a small city. It's safe, it's clean, and Lockheed is promising an operational unit by 2017 with assembly line production to follow, enabling everything from unlimited fresh water to engines that take spacecraft to Mars in one month instead of six.

    Lockheed's Skunk Works promises fusion power in four years | DVICE
    Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Odd alright.

    If they manage it, they will beat ITER by 3 years.

    ITER - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    But then, ITER, promises 500MW by 2020. Does Lockheed say how much power they intend to put in to their reactor? As in, what's the power 'profit'.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member firefly123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    26,847
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I guarantee we find a big load of sweet crude oil 100ft under the ground the next day
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member sic transit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    24,776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Given how tricky this is and that they've been at it in Europe and elsewhere for 40 year is this really brave or stupid? I still recall the excitement of Cold Fusion, Cold fusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

    That said it would be great if they can but no matter what size it is the containment and net output are the challenge.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Odd alright.

    If they manage it, they will beat ITER by 3 years.

    ITER - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    But then, ITER, promises 500MW by 2020. Does Lockheed say how much power they intend to put in to their reactor? As in, what's the power 'profit'.
    The presentation was light on specifics but the main pitch seemed to be that their concept could be produced on a production line and the entire plant could be delivered by truck, in fact they claimed that their tech could be scaled fast enough to service the entire global electricity demand before 2050.

    Their main technical claim seemed to be a breakthrough in magnetic containment.
    Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Planet earth
    Posts
    14,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Gill View Post
    The by now infamous and fiendishly clever Lockheed Martin Skunkworks have recently gone public with a promise of a prototype 100MW Fusion power station within 4 years.

    Although in this Solve for X talk Lockheed do not claim to have yet attained fusion I find it perplexing that such a high profile yet secretive company would publicly announce a target date without having some certainty of being able to back up its claims.

    Has Human civilisation saved itself at the last minute yet again or is there another explanation for this announcement.

    This might be bad news for Eddie O Connor
    I await technical details.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member sic transit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    24,776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Gill View Post
    The presentation was light on specifics but the main pitch seemed to be that their concept could be produced on a production line and the entire plant could be delivered by truck, in fact they claimed that their tech could be scaled fast enough to service the entire global electricity demand before 2050.

    Their main technical claim seemed to be a breakthrough in magnetic containment.
    That is a huge deal if true.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    Given how tricky this is and that they've been at it in Europe and elsewhere for 40 year is this really brave or stupid? I still recall the excitement of Cold Fusion, Cold fusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

    That said it would be great if they can but no matter what size it is the containment and net output are the challenge.
    Thats the puzzling bit, having seen what happened to Pons and Fleichman why would a company the size of Lockheed Martin make this announcement ?
    Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Gill View Post
    Their main technical claim seemed to be a breakthrough in magnetic containment.
    I hope thats true. And there are dozens of other applications if they've really cracked this.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member cabledude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In my home.....
    Posts
    6,355
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    I guarantee we find a big load of sweet crude oil 100ft under the ground the next day
    So what if we do. We'll give it away anyway, because we're Irish. Grand lads.
    Stand there in silence, look up to the sky and remember how brave they were.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •