Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop the Killer Robots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Stop the Killer Robots

(Not sure which is the best forum for this. Is it Science&Tech? Foreign Affairs? Military?)

The US and others already have remotely piloted drones which, at the push of a button, can wipe out a terrorist/family/small village.

Apparently, the best ideas are from Hollywood, and military scientists are already working on autonomous killer robots - actual Terminators. These would be a bit like the robots used for bomb disposal, but would have a machine gun attached and make their own decisions on who to kill.

I actually saw a prototype once. I was at a closed arms trade show in paris a few years back (don't ask) and an Israel company was showing off this thing. It was about 60 cm high, looked like a miniature tank and had a machine gun where the turret should have been. It was 'semi-autonomous' - a bit like the Mars Rover - you'd tell it where to go, and it would figure out its own route. It would also target humans it saw, but wait for a command before it did anything unpleasant to them. Its a small step to making kill decisions on its own.

Anyway, the existence and development of such things terrifies not only me. "A new global campaign to persuade nations to ban "killer robots" before they reach the production stage is to be launched in the UK by a group of academics, pressure groups and Nobel peace prize laureates."

Killer robots must be stopped, say campaigners | Technology | The Observer

What does p.ie think? I presume the libertarian camp will demand the right of every individual to own its own genocidal killer robot. I would support a ban, but I doubt such a ban would be respected. I fear a future oil war where instead of 'boots on the ground', fleets of robots are sent to suppress the population. No brave soldiers in body bags returning on the nightly news to moderate public opinion. No downside for the politicians. Endless war becomes profitable once again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are they like this?

I have closed down this account, I am now The Rahenyite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RahenyFG View Post
    Are they like this?
    More like this:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

If it works and can save the lives of the soldiers of the State that produces them then they will go for it

Crossbows and submarines were considered 'immoral' in their own day
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    If it works and can save the lives of the soldiers of the State that produces them then they will go for it

Crossbows and submarines were considered 'immoral' in their own day
    I think it's the actual cost of soldiers that bothers them more and the fact that a few seconds can wipe out years of training and knowledge. Not sure I'd call these things Terminators. They look like a step up from the very helpful bomb disposal bots that are already in common usage.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    Not sure I'd call these things Terminators. They look like a step up from the very helpful bomb disposal bots that are already in common usage.
    The key difference is that the machine decides who to kill.

At present, Sharkey says, there is no mechanism in a robot's "mind" to distinguish between a child holding up a sweet and an adult pointing a gun. "We are struggling to get them to distinguish between a human being and a car. We have already seen utter incompetence in the use of drones, operators making a lot of mistakes and not being properly supervised."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

More like this guy. Designed to act as a mule to carry kit. Obviously needs a bit of sound proofing and development but the balance is incredible. Also does anyone else feel bad when they kick it?
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    More like this guy. Designed to act as a mule to carry kit. Obviously needs a bit of sound proofing and development but the balance is incredible. Also does anyone else feel bad when they kick it?
    I'm sure they've stuck a gun on this thing. They just haven't put that video on youtube.

Imagine, 15 years from now, you're living in a country that has the misfortune to have oil underneath it. Your town has been bombed and you are hiding in the rubble. You peak around the corner and 50 of those things, with guns swivelling, are creeping over the bricks and bodies in the street. No humanity, no restraint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Killer robots? Right.............
    Сохранить Украины

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast