Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: An honest question about the Gardai and politics.ie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default An honest question about the Gardai and politics.ie

I see a LOT of hatred towards the Guards on P.ie and I don't completely get it.

It seems to be a mix between:

1. Public Service worker hatred
    2. Authority hatred
    3. Corrupt police hatred

But, tell me... are Irish cops the worst? Or even, that bad?

I mean, in some ways, they are pretty shocking - the fact that hundreds drive around with no license in Ireland for example, or that no one polices the roads. But in other ways, compared to other countries, they're certainly not hugely corrupt.

They're also not violent, relative to what you see in other countries.

And of course, while they may be, organisationally, incompetent, the Guards I know personally are basically passionate about their job. Which is what I'd expect, really.

And for every story of "lazy guards using their own laptops" you hear one of, "guards pay for their own petrol as their fuel cards are empty".

So, why all the hatred?

I'm not lobbying for them; I've had my fair share of run in with cops in multiple countries - I'm not naive, but at the same time... it seems the amount of hatred on P.ie is - in many cases - irrational.

So, enlighten me, please.

Thanks!
    You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw39tcyg7So&sns=em

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Personally, I've had some negative personal experiences with the guards. I consider it primarily a management problem. Though there's definitely an element of good old-fashioned dishonesty and arrogance in the mix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have you ever seen the Ali-g movie? There is a scene where MR G is driving in his sh´tty little hot hatch past a police car with his mate. In order to look the hard man he gives them the finger but hides it under the door so they can't see. Well'ard !
    I feel that eighty percent of the posts having a go at Garda fall in to that catagory.
    The other twenty percent are probably genuine grievances because much as I support the Garda some of them are utter knobs. But then the same could be said about computer programmers or travel agents or accountants. The trouble is the Garda have the potential power to ruin you.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Gardai benefitted for years from the general deferment to authority. Most of them are decent, but like many organisations where a relatively small number of members are repeatedly corrupt, e,g, the Catholic Church, the Gardai react defensively to any criticism from outside the force. They are a huge police force (I think only the Londin Met is larger in these islands) and they haven't been properly reformed since their creation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A small section of garda are efficient and do a good job. But majority of them are rude, inefficient, parasites on society who scrounge for free grub and drink, and flash cards to get into nigh clubs for free.
    As regards using own laptops whats that all about ? I see where one of their union bosses is on golf trip to Spain. Guards are also notorious for dabbling in property and as landlords. They are a sort of elite in Irish society. Figures released by Justice Dept of Friday reveal that on average, a garda rank earns 56k pa, excluding overtime. They have good pay, premium pay, and rent allowance. They also almost brought down their own credit union.
    Last edited by Eoin Coir; 24th February 2013 at 12:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lies View Post
    I see a LOT of hatred towards the Guards on P.ie and I don't completely get it.

It seems to be a mix between:

1. Public Service worker hatred
    2. Authority hatred
    3. Corrupt police hatred

But, tell me... are Irish cops the worst? Or even, that bad?

I mean, in some ways, they are pretty shocking - the fact that hundreds drive around with no license in Ireland for example, or that no one polices the roads. But in other ways, compared to other countries, they're certainly not hugely corrupt.

They're also not violent, relative to what you see in other countries.

And of course, while they may be, organisationally, incompetent, the Guards I know personally are basically passionate about their job. Which is what I'd expect, really.

And for every story of "lazy guards using their own laptops" you hear one of, "guards pay for their own petrol as their fuel cards are empty".

So, why all the hatred?

I'm not lobbying for them; I've had my fair share of run in with cops in multiple countries - I'm not naive, but at the same time... it seems the amount of hatred on P.ie is - in many cases - irrational.

So, enlighten me, please.

Thanks!
    How about getting a fine for driving and talking on the phone while gards can do this as they wish.
    I have closed down this account, I am now The Rahenyite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freddiefly View Post
    The guards are just a reflection of Irish society good and bad ,
    I would say they're that and a reflection of their management.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RahenyFG View Post
    How about getting a fine for driving and talking on the phone while gards can do this as they wish.
    I don't think that talking on mobile phones while driving is the worst abuse of Garda authority I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    I don't think that talking on mobile phones while driving is the worst abuse of Garda authority I've ever seen.
    All emergency personnel are exempt from this law. Whether that is right or wrong is another thing but they aren't breaking any laws.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

On the whole the Gardai are a good police force. The problem is the size of Ireland and the wink/nod approach to low level matters which means that for more serious matters there can be an effective 'apartheid' when it comes to applying the law. Unfortunately I dont see this changing anytime soon.
    If your means can support a good legal team or if you are a well known Irish person, you catch some breaks that others do not. This is not the fault of the gardai but it does mean that it seems there is less of a will to charge such people. This may not be the case in reality.
    The gardai can also come across as a private police force at times who ignore certain citizens rights, which does happen occasionally and causes their public image serious problems. Ditto for example the "I'll rape you" audio tapes etc etc. Very poor form and very damaging for the public image of the Gardai. I bet thousands of decent gardai rolled their eyes to the sky when that one went public.
    More recently the industrial action threatened by the Gardai is also poor form. How can they expect people to abide by the laws of the land when the force itself is seeking to frustrate them? It sets a poor example and shows no leadership at all.
    Most Gardai I've met have been decent people, I've met a few whose personality traits would cause me concern.
    But then sometimes certain situations call for that type of 'personality'.
    On the whole though, if I was a school teacher, I'd give them a 'B-', not the worst by any means, but room for improvement.

Which is fair enough for an organisation of its size..
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast