Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Impact of immigration from Europe on the Irish language

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Impact of immigration from Europe on the Irish language

My blog has been running a series of posts on the 2011 census returns on the Welsh language recently.

The latest post looked at the relationship between the ability to speak the Welsh language & immigration levels in 12 wards in different parts of the country. BlogMenai.com: I ble'r aeth Saeson Caernarfon?

When I looked at my own town (which saw a decline of 0.5% in the percentage of Welsh speakers) I was surprised at the extent of immigration from outside the UK. In fact there are more people born outside the UK than there are born in England. Had the East European immigration not happened there's little doubt that the percentage of Welsh speakers would have increased substantially locally.

Is this replicated in Ireland? Ie - is there East European immigration into Gaeltacht areas & is it having an impact on the vitality of Irish as a spoken medium?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I doubt it , employment prospects tend to be thin on the ground in Gaeltacht areas.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Angler View Post
    I doubt it , employment prospects tend to be thin on the ground in Gaeltacht areas.
    They're not exactly great in my neck of the woods.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cai View Post
    My blog has been running a series of posts on the 2011 census returns on the Welsh language recently.

The latest post looked at the relationship between the ability to speak the Welsh language & immigration levels in 12 wards in different parts of the country. BlogMenai.com: I ble'r aeth Saeson Caernarfon?

When I looked at my own town (which saw a decline of 0.5% in the percentage of Welsh speakers) I was surprised at the extent of immigration from outside the UK. In fact there are more people born outside the UK than there are born in England. Had the East European immigration not happened there's little doubt that the percentage of Welsh speakers would have increased substantially locally.

Is this replicated in Ireland? Ie - is there East European immigration into Gaeltacht areas & is it having an impact on the vitality of Irish as a spoken medium?
    No. Irish is, sadly, a moribund language. In my experience almost none of the 'native' residents of the Gaeltachts on the Western seaboard barely pay lipservice any more.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member BodyPolathick's Avatar
    Ireland – a Country that discards its young
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

East European immigration into the Gaeltacht was substantial over the years and is still present in substantial numbers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    No. Irish is, sadly, a moribund language. In my experience almost none of the 'native' residents of the Gaeltachts on the Western seaboard barely pay lipservice any more.
    I'm not sure that I agree. I spent time in Inishmore & almost everyone used Irish there. I also once found myself in a pub somewhere in Donegal where I was the only non Irish speaker.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BodyPolathick View Post
    East European immigration into the Gaeltacht was substantial over the years and is still present in substantial numbers.
    Does it have an impact on the use of Irish?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I'm not sure that I agree. I spent time in Inishmore & almost everyone used Irish there. I also once found myself in a pub somewhere in Donegal where I was the only non Irish speaker.
    What was the average age?

Education Matters - Ireland's Foremost Education Periodical Education Matters Irish language in decline in Gaeltacht areas
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think that I came across anybody who didn't use Irish in Inishmore - except for tourists.

Politics.ie Member BodyPolathick's Avatar
    Ireland – a Country that discards its young
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does it have an impact on the use of Irish?
    Yes IMHO I go to the Gaeltacht to speak Irish and take it easy, I was on the Aran Island a few years ago and the local shop was staffed by Poles, loudly speaking Polish for the first couple of hours I did not converse with anybody in Irish, haven't been back since, I now go to other areas.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast