Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are FG/FF posters so afraid of their inevitable coalition together?

Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why are FG/FF posters so afraid of their inevitable coalition together?

Every poll that is out recently is pointing to a FG/FF coalition and whilst I know an election may be some years off I cant see that changing vastly. However despite being mirror images of eachother, two cheeks from the same a*s their supporters on P.ie are unwilling to discuss such a possibility! As we've seen with the closure of garda stations, water charges, property taxes FG's policies are mainly those comprised by the last FF administration so whats with all the hate for one another?
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IrishWelshCelt View Post
    Every poll that is out recently is pointing to a FG/FF coalition and whilst I know an election may be some years off I cant see that changing vastly. However despite being mirror images of eachother, two cheeks from the same a*s their supporters on P.ie are unwilling to discuss such a possibility! As we've seen with the closure of garda stations, water charges, property taxes FG's policies are mainly those comprised by the last FF administration so whats with all the hate for one another?
    Hating SF is so easy and therefore can be a bit boring.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've often discussed this and I wouldn't have a major issue with it. It would lead to a normal left/right divide instead of pro/anti treaty of almost 100 years ago. If FF straightened up a bit and stamped out the corrupt element within itself it could work ok.
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Generations of family brainwashing that the other side of the civil war divide represent the 'devil incarnate', or the like.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Problem is that they would have such a huge majority there would be dozens of idle backbenchers with nothing to do but plot against whoever was in the govt.

Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos the black View Post
    I've often discussed this and I wouldn't have a major issue with it. It would lead to a normal left/right divide instead of pro/anti treaty of almost 100 years ago. If FF straightened up a bit and stamped out the corrupt element within itself it could work ok.
    Left/Right divide is good for the country, it would certainly lead to less broken promises.
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

Because it would break the illusion of their continued relevance as seperate parties.

BTW, I'm not convinced thay coalition is inevitable. The time to force that was after the last election but Labour didn't have the patience or the bottle for the long game.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When Fianna Fail and Fine Gael do join up, one will devour the other, it will be even bets the survivor.

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Problem is that they would have such a huge majority there would be dozens of idle backbenchers with nothing to do but plot against whoever was in the govt.
    I don't think it they would... At the moment it would have about 50% of the vote, but that would ebb and flow over time.
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast