Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marta Andreasen defects to the Tories

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Marta Andreasen defects to the Tories

Marta Andreasen has left UKIP, calling Farage 'anti-women' and a 'Stalinist'. In turn he has issued a statement saying 'The woman is impossible', and that the Conservatives 'deserve what is coming to them', citing the unpleasant circumstances in which she left them, the OECD, and the Commission beforehand. There has been bad blood between them for a couple of years since she called on Farage to quit following poor local election results back then.

In an open letter expressing her dissatisfaction with UKIP, she accused Mr Farage of treating any views other than his own with contempt.
    Ms Andreasen said she did not believe the party could offer "real leadership".

She said Mr Farage surrounded himself with "an old boys club of like-minded sycophants", whereas Conservative leader David Cameron had shown "he can listen, adapt and do what is right for the country, not just for personal gain".
    The MEP said the prime minster's speech on Britain's relationship with the EU last month had convinced her the Conservatives were the "true referendum party".
    BBC News - UKIP MEP Marta Andreasen defects to Conservatives

Any chance of more defections now that the Tories have committed to a referendum? Or is this just a one-off down to personal animosity? Given the fanfare with which her arrival among the ranks of UKIP candidates was greeted, this seems rather embarrassing for them.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would go with the personal animosity explanation for that one. From what I hear, She and Farage had problems pretty much since she joined.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    I would go with the personal animosity explanation for that one. From what I hear, She and Farage had problems pretty much since she joined.
    It does make me think, though - what is the point of UKIP now that the Tories are promising a referendum? I mean, yes, they can campaign on the referendum, but then so will a load of Eurosceptic Tories. I think Farage is going to struggle with the conceptual problem for UKIP from now on (hence the concentration on immigration recently).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nidge got a big defector 48hrs ago - even Stephen...

The former Liberal Democrat mayor of Eastleigh has defected to Ukip over the "lies and broken promises" of disgraced former MP Chris Huhne.

Former Eastleigh Lib Dem mayor defects to Ukip after 'Chris Huhne's lies' - Telegraph

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dublin 4 View Post
    Well, no offence to the man, but no-one outside Eastleigh will have ever heard of him. Whereas Andreasen is known across Europe since the EU accounts fiasco.

Dublin, but lived in Tipp, Limerick, Kildare, NI, UK & USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love the line from the UKIP statement which reads:
    "Having left the OECD, the European Commission and UKIP in unpleasant circumstances, the Conservative Party deserve what is coming to them.

"The woman is impossible."

Funny but wasn't she the bees knees when she left the European Commission according to UKIP?

I am sure the tories will handle her nicely they have put out her letter in Eastleigh and when the dust settles place her down the list of candidates next year that she won't have a chance of re-election!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cameron really took a gamble, the Libdems are just shocking, Milliband is pathetic and trying to scrape UKIP votes back to the Tories by promising an EU referendum has a big, big problem,

If, on the week before the GE, UKIP can see that the Tories are 5 to 6 % % shy of an overall majority then all they have to do is to ask all UKIP voters to vote Tory and so force Camerons hand to hold the EU membership referendum.

Farage has been the most entertaining UK politician in years (Galloway not included as only mental patients doped up on meds would consider voting for him)

Farage is not afraid to mix it and call the spoofers out , it really is great to see him have a go at the political dynasties and looney liberals. I wish we had more like him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Jeepers - for a moment I thought it was Martina Anderson defects to the Tories!

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    It does make me think, though - what is the point of UKIP now that the Tories are promising a referendum? I mean, yes, they can campaign on the referendum, but then so will a load of Eurosceptic Tories. I think Farage is going to struggle with the conceptual problem for UKIP from now on (hence the concentration on immigration recently).
    The referendum pledge was a great way to sideline UKIP but it is hard to know if it will work. Eastleigh will be interesting- if they come in around 15% or so, they might have a fair chance of winning a few seats the next time out. But they definitely do need to boraden their support and find a good issue. Immigration is a good one, especially with the restrictions on Bulgarians being lifted. But I don't know- it will take a lot of work. They will also need a few more defections and they will need to show Cameron's referendum move for the gambit it it. Because really, there is no way Cameron is serious about it. Another thing is that they need a few more faces than Farage. He has done well, but a few other good performers are definitely necessary.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast