Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The state of play in FG. A bit of gossip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The state of play in FG. A bit of gossip.

So, I was talking to a person, who shall remain nameless, and they would be and old soldier and "very well got" with the present leadership etc etc.

We were shooting the breeze and discussing the present state of play in the party, the eventual succession etc and here are a few things that stood out. Now it's just one persons view but itís interesting, nonetheless.

The heave is in the past and its instigators have left it behind them too. All is forgiven. The only ones who now actively dislike Enda, and would love to do something about it, are some of the old FG names/families still in the Oireachtas who still have some sense of entitlement, even though intellectually and every other way they are not destined for preferment. Work that one out for yourselves.

Reilly is for the high jump in the re-shuffle. Straight to the back benches. Just not up to it as Minister. Darth Vardakar for Minister for Health after, more than likely. It is felt that he is a very good communicator and capable. On top of his brief.

Big Phil would happily go to Europe to take over from MGQ. Might well happen.

The abortion issue. It's a done deal. It's debatable whether Lucinda might vote against the party but the thinking seems to be she won't want to loose the best junior position about, particularly presently. Interestingly, I am told she has very few friends within the parliamentary party and nobody would shed anything but crockadile tears if she was to go. As for Eoin Murphy's plea for a free vote, it's nothing but understandable attention seeking. It's hard being a backbencher with nothing to say, where your constituency colleague can't shut their mouth.

Enda feels he did the right thing by the Maggies, whatever the cost in monetary terms and was a very happy man after his speech. Bit of pep in his step since.

Brian Hayes is quietly impressive and one to watch for the future.

The Roscommon hospital thing was poison. Itís very personal. Denis Naughton and the Taoiseach have not been on speaking terms since, more or less. Frank Feghan feels his seat is VERY dodgy. He "voted against the county", as his constituents have told him. Notwithstanding that the hospital is now treating more patients than it ever did. He "voted against the county". Pathetic stuff, but there you have it.

Ill add more as it comes back to me.

Oh, and anyone thinking that Enda might be minded to retire any time soon, or even in the medium terms, might want to think again.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corelli View Post
    So, I was talking to a person, who shall remain nameless, and they would be and old soldier and "very well got" with the present leadership etc etc.
    I'd take everything they said with a large grain of salt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Reilly is for the high jump in the re-shuffle.
    Any timing on the re-shuffle?
    There is no Keyser Soze

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No timings on anything. Just one persons view, you know!
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Where were you talking to this "insider"? When you were both on the sauce?

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alright...if I am to assume that this is relevant and of a certain value, then here is one citizen's assessment.

Dicey Reilly going would be a big development. But let's face facts - he is worth minus a few percentage points across the board, and he will have to be shafted ahead of the general election. Getting rid of Dicey will boost FG's poll numbers.

Surprised that bullShatter is not not also getting shoved into the background. I would rank him number 2 after Dicey for the sack. His laziness is unbearable, in the face of a massive public concern about crime. Garda morale is plummetting even below levels seen under the Johnny Cash. Shatter's main approach has been to manage the PR, rather than fix any problem. Bullshatter is another electoral liability. I expect either FG to do something about this, or else suffer. I expect that SF and FF will both be targetting bullShatter over the coming twelve months, if he stays in office.

Then we have Big Fill. He has been a liability for a long time. He has already been literally boo'ed off the stage byy his own people. So what happens next ? He gets the Pee Flynn treatment. He will appreciate the expenses regime in Brussels, where the Irish media never dares to ask any questions.

Lucinda is on a series of solo runs. I don't think anybody has a problem with her expressing her conscience. The only problem is that there are a range of areas on which she seems to have no conscience - and they all seem to be in her area of ministerial responsibility. She is meandering outside her are of responsibility, when she should be focussing on her responsibilities. Though, I expect that Lucinda is more likely to get sent to Brussels than Big Fill. Big players in the EU get to pick who they want for the EU Commission. Small players get told to pick women commissioners, so as to improve the optics of the EU commission "family photo" shoot. This is Lucinda's trump card. And she is currently the Europe Minister. I reckon she will beat Phil on that count.

How exactly, Brian Hayes is the future, I cannot fathom. He is already out of his depth.

Now, the question arises - what have FG lined up to take the places of the above underperformers ?

That is the real future of FG. Relying on clowns like Brian Hayes, is a boost to FF. And besides, didn't Hayes pen an article in the Sindo titled "why Ireland still needs FF". That should put a ceiling on high he can be promoted in an FG led government. Think about it.
    Last edited by Analyzer; 22nd February 2013 at 09:15 PM.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We were shooting the breeze and discussing the present state of play in the party, the eventual succession etc and here are a few things that stood out. Now it's just one persons view but itís interesting, nonetheless.

The heave is in the past and its instigators have left it behind them too. All is forgiven. The only ones who now actively dislike Enda, and would love to do something about it, are some of the old FG names/families still in the Oireachtas who still have some sense of entitlement, even though intellectually and every other way they are not destined for preferment. Work that one out for yourselves.

Reilly is for the high jump in the re-shuffle. Straight to the back benches. Just not up to it as Minister. Darth Vardakar for Minister for Health after, more than likely. It is felt that he is a very good communicator and capable. On top of his brief.

Big Phil would happily go to Europe to take over from MGQ. Might well happen.

The abortion issue. It's a done deal. It's debatable whether Lucinda might vote against the party but the thinking seems to be she won't want to loose the best junior position about, particularly presently. Interestingly, I am told she has very few friends within the parliamentary party and nobody would shed anything but crockadile tears if she was to go. As for Eoin Murphy's plea for a free vote, it's nothing but understandable attention seeking. It's hard being a backbencher with nothing to say, where your constituency colleague can't shut their mouth.

Enda feels he did the right thing by the Maggies, whatever the cost in monetary terms and was a very happy man after his speech. Bit of pep in his step since.

The Roscommon hospital thing was poison. Itís very personal. Denis Naughton and the Taoiseach have not been on speaking terms since, more or less. Frank Feghan feels his seat is VERY dodgy. He "voted against the county", as his constituents have told him. Notwithstanding that the hospital is now treating more patients than it ever did. He "voted against the county". Pathetic stuff, but there you have it.

Ill add more as it comes back to me.

Oh, and anyone thinking that Enda might be minded to retire any time soon, or even in the medium terms, might want to think again.
    Interesting stuff, cannot wait to see Reilly go; he just seems grubby to me after the dodgy deals. I am mildly affronted whenever I see him grinning in the papers as if he is doing swimmingly.
    I didn't know Varadkar was known as Darth... Is it an ironic title as in big John for a chap of 4' nothing?

FG on a PR exercise to pretent everything is hunky dory and people just don't understand the excellent work we are doing...........while violins play and April 1912 and that great ship from Belfast sails on while deckchairs are rearranged spring to mind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting....

Heard the same on the Roscommon hospital issue, so that's solid. Lots of rage festering there....

Leo has done well. He was the whipping boy, the living incarnation of the smug, right-wing young inexperienced UCD Mammy's boy.....but he has come across as really sane and reasonable.

Enda (or his advisers) called it exactly right on the Laundries issue...they perhaps learned their lesson from Noonan and the Bridget McCole case .....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Brian Hayes is certainly not impressive in public, whatever about 'quietly impressive'.

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast