Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there anything to be said for Eurofederalism?

Default Is there anything to be said for Eurofederalism?

I see there are the first moves being made to set up an Irish Section of the Young European Federalists this weekend. It makes me wonder whether there is anything to be said for the medium term goal of a federal Union with full state power over foreign affairs, defence, certain aspects of Justice (there would need to be some sort of federal police force with the power of investigation and arrest - transnational crime is a huge issue. Frankly I don't know why they haven't taken steps to give Europol some teeth already) and the economy, and leaving the rest to member governments.

There are several reasons why this would be more efficient - and would be better for Ireland. For one thing, a single eurobond would make things a lot easier economically. For another, there is no reason for the amount of defence spending duplication across the EU - create a single defence department for the EU and spend the money saved on reducing duplication elsewhere. As explained above, some sort of investigtory body could crack down on organized transnational crime far more effectively than innumerable member state police forces. For many reasons, we are stronger together than we are apart.

Is it just petty nationalism that stops an ever closer Union from happening?

There would be bloodbaths in every European city before that fantasy ever come to fruition. The EU is finished. People are questioning it, not supporting it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Irishman View Post
    I see there are the first moves being made to set up an Irish Section of the Young European Federalists this weekend. It makes me wonder whether there is anything to be said for the medium term goal of a federal Union with full state power over foreign affairs, defence, certain aspects of Justice (there would need to be some sort of federal police force with the power of investigation and arrest - transnational crime is a huge issue. Frankly I don't know why they haven't taken steps to give Europol some teeth already) and the economy, and leaving the rest to member governments.

There are several reasons why this would be more efficient - and would be better for Ireland. For one thing, a single eurobond would make things a lot easier economically. For another, there is no reason for the amount of defence spending duplication across the EU - create a single defence department for the EU and spend the money saved on reducing duplication elsewhere. As explained above, some sort of investigtory body could crack down on organized transnational crime far more effectively than innumerable member state police forces. For many reasons, we are stronger together than we are apart.

They should introduce conscription while they are at it...yeh!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anything that creates further separation between the Irish electorate and the levers or power would be welcome in my book.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

A true federalism need not seperate people from the levers of power, but deepen democracy and give more impact to their decisions.

And why would there be a bloodbath? Nationalism is irrational - and it has failed and is continuing to fail. Not only that, it is responsible for the most horrific violence the world has ever seen

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If course, there are many things to be said for Eurofederalism!

Now I won't say those things are good but still they can be said

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In a democracy people are allowed espouse views I find abhorrent so best of luck to them. I would say they would need to be clear who their financial backers are.
    On your points:
    1- Eurobonds are the latest Santa Claus of the left that allows the overspending circus to do a few more laps before it crashes uncerimoniously.
    2- We have no need for mutual defence and good reasons not to do so. Anyway if our circumstances ever change then NATO would be the logical choice not a French pipedream of NATO without the yanks.
    3- We have interpol for international police taskwork why waste money duplicating it and why replace it with something above legal inquiry.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm, an interesting question, let me ponder this for a moment before reaching a measured response.......

DEATH TO THE CORRUPT EVIL EU AND ALL IT'S SCUMBAG LEADERS!!!

Yep, that about covers it,

Because the whole Irish nationalism thing worked out so well didn't it? How much is our debt now?

Why can't we have an economic union without having to join a supranational state?

Ireland would have no say in the running of affairs. Why would this be good for Ireland? We have already seen Europe's disregard for the people of Ireland through, among other things, their screwing us over on our debt and the banning of harnessing our wealth of natural fish resources- an area that could bring massive financial gains should we leave the EU.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast