Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Junior Cert fee exemptions

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Junior Cert fee exemptions

The other day my 15 yr old son came home with the news that we were to pay €110.00 in fees in order for him to take his JC exams , fair enough ! calls into question the "free education in Ireland " assumption but hey if that's the system then what can you do ? I will declare at this point that we only returned to live in Ireland a few years ago so were a little ignorant of the ways and means of the system.
    What did shock me however was finding out that when the head came into the classroom to give out the forms for JC fees he asked the members of the class of 20 or so to put their hands in the air if they were not eligible for a medical card as this would mean that they needed a form to facilitate payment , those who had access to a medical card were exempt from paying and did not need this particular form , my son was the only one who put his hand up as he knows we do not have medical cards in our family . Now whilst I would expect some exemptions I was not prepared for that sort of ratio , I know a lot of the families of these kids and they come from what I would consider reasonably well to do backgrounds , certainly judging by the cars , houses , holidays and the rest that they have access too, not to mention the jobs the parents do !
    Am I missing something ? where can I get on this bandwagon ? Since returning to Ireland I have had to pay for everything that's going , visits to Doctors , Hospital, dental , schooling , full college fees and the rest . Yes I earn a reasonable income but pretty average by today's standards for what I do and I don't resent paying my way but I do resent what seems to be a widespread scamming of the system. Even my other son who is at College is stunned when he visits friends 5 / 6 bedroom houses to find that their fees are funded by grants whereas he cant seem to get anything. Am I a mug ? too honest or what ? because every time we apply for something I am told we are not entitled to it . Let me declare that I am politically inclined to social democracy and have no problem with social welfare where required ,or indeed paying taxes to fund good public services and an equitable society as far as can be, but it seems to me that a good many people in this country are happy to fiddle whatever to avoid paying their dues which cant be a good thing. As I say I must be missing something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are over 1.8 million with medical cards.

Your wish to get "on the bandwagon" is understandable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Out of interest how does the school cross-check that the students parents are actually full GMS holders? Are they asked to complete any forms which would give them access to the parents GMS numbers?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    There are over 1.8 million with medical cards.

Your wish to get "on the bandwagon" is understandable.
    Wow ! that is a lot and genuinely surprises me , I know times are tough for a lot of people but that number seems excessive .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by damus View Post
    Out of interest how does the school cross-check that the students parents are actually full GMS holders? Are they asked to complete any forms which would give them access to the parents GMS numbers?
    From my memory of when my children were in school it isn't the school but the exam commission in Athlone you informed if you wanted the exemption.
    Their school gave the form to EVERY child. I don't think it is fair to ask children to put up their hands in class if they have a medical card and I'm surprised that hasn't been pointed out to the school. Many people who have a nice house and car are struggling to get by and it isn't their childrens' classmates' business if qualify for a medical card or not.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toconn View Post
    Wow ! that is a lot and genuinely surprises me , I know times are tough for a lot of people but that number seems excessive .
    50%of the population have medical cards. If you don't then you are likely in paid employment, paying tax through the nose and eligible for zip.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pandora View Post
    From my memory of when my children were in school it isn't the school but the exam commission in Athlone you informed if you wanted the exemption.
    Their school gave the form to EVERY child. I don't think it is fair to ask children to put up their hands in class if they have a medical card and I'm surprised that hasn't been pointed out to the school. Many people who have a nice house and car are struggling to get by and it isn't their childrens' classmates' business if qualify for a medical card or not.
    I am surprised students had to put up their hands.The Year Head knows which of her pupils has a medical card and the whole thing is supposed to be handled discreetly

The SEC in Athlone requires supporting documentation...I forget exactly how it works although I used to do this with my own students....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When did these fees come in , what is the money used for, and were does the money go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerben View Post
    When did these fees come in , what is the money used for, and were does the money go.
    There has always been fees. They seem a lot higher than in my day, but then different currency, inflation etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pandora View Post
    That's what I was thinking....which raises the question why the children of non-GMS households were only being given the forms....surely every child regardless of their GMS status would be given a form for their parents to complete?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast