Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Republic Day" and other potential bank holidays

Default "Republic Day" and other potential bank holidays

Aengus O'Snodaigh has suggested that the 24th of April would be permanently enshrined as "Republic Day", but given the State holds its commemoration every Easter Sunday, and Easter Monday is already a bank holiday, this appears to be duplication. But what other days could be equally worthy of national celebration? Suggestions:

1. January 21st - Anniversary of Opening of First Dáil.
    2. June 16th - Bloomsday
    3. Second Monday in September - equidistant between both All-Ireland finals, no bank holiday already that month.
    My political compass:
    Economic Left/Right: -5.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As a Stateless Nordie, I'll support Republic Day when we get a Republic.
    A Republic as envisaged by the signatories of the Proclamation.
    I've no idea what O Snodaighs version is, to be honest.

Why on earth would you celebrate the opening of the Dail? Look at what it's done to you and your family....

I say ZERO holidays. Let people earn money when they want.

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with having such days to commemorate things that once existed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Should be relevant for about another 7-10 years and then we will all be ''happy''* European federalists.

(Wonder how long it will take before the 'learning to love the new empire' camps are introduced....)

Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are you mad! Keep yer trap shut or the Govt will ban Bank holidays to improve productivity and get more tax.

Quote Originally Posted by R3volution_R3ady View Post
    Why on earth would you celebrate the opening of the Dail? Look at what it's done to you and your family....

I say ZERO holidays. Let people earn money when they want.
    Only because it would be the most politically neutral manner to mark the foundation of the State - granted Easter probably does that already, but it seems we've fewer bank holidays than the rest of Europe.
    My political compass:
    Economic Left/Right: -5.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FloatingVoterTralee View Post
    Aengus O'Snodaigh has suggested that the 24th of April would be permanently enshrined as "Republic Day", but given the State holds its commemoration every Easter Sunday, and Easter Monday is already a bank holiday, this appears to be duplication. But what other days could be equally worthy of national celebration? Suggestions:

1. January 21st - Anniversary of Opening of First Dáil.
    2. June 16th - Bloomsday
    3. Second Monday in September - equidistant between both All-Ireland finals, no bank holiday already that month.
    Got the impression from listening to him being inteviewed he wants it to commemorate all Republicians from 1916 up to IRA of the recent past. They have two chances of this being acceptable - none and never.

Humbert

If we're really interested in uniting Orange and Green it would have to be 12th July - that's the date them boys have picked and if we really really believe our own fleg (check it out - one whole third of it is Orange, no sh1tting) that's the missing date.

Apart from that, maybe a date accorded to the other (White) third of the flag - Peace Day - maybe as you say in September or some sunny month.

And maybe Earth Day some time around harvest to remind everyone that the most important thing we need to be thinking about right now is keeping poor ol' Mother Earth alive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

28 November: National Bailout Day, where everyone takes the day off from they jobs they don't have, and flagellates themselves with a rolled - up copy of the Sindo.
    'I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.' - Kurt Cobain

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast