Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: RTE Radio One News and it's regular reporting of the latest gadgets coming out?

Dylan2010

Default RTE Radio One News and it's regular reporting of the latest gadgets coming out?

(I'm not losing sleep over this one) but I find it odd that between 8am and 9am which one would think is when serious news or even the local fluffy "Newsround" style stories ought to be reported they seem to always have space for news items about the latest mobile phone coming out, whatever yawnfest is happening in Nokia and Blackberry and this morning's one was on a new games console. If they had an official tech slot once a week in their news that would be fine, but they report these corporate non stories like they are genuine international news.
    Are their newrooms full of 20 something hipsters and nerds that think this stuff is genuine news? or do Sony and Microsoft etc. pay for these guys to write stories for them by flying them off to international press launches?

Edit- just spotted Sync's console thread, note to RTE he started it in the chat section

Boggle

I agree. It's basically endorsing these gadgets as though they are now a necessary component of modern life. Even then when they talk about mobile applications they talk about iPhones specifically as they are a big brand rather than using the correct terminology.

I've little to be worrying about really, don't I??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
    I agree. It's basically endorsing these gadgets as though they are now a necessary component of modern life. Even then when they talk about mobile applications they talk about iPhones specifically as they are a big brand rather than using the correct terminology.

I've little to be worrying about really, don't I??
    Agree, are they getting paid to do this I wonder. Sort of Product Placement?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Nokia and RIM's impending collapses ARE huge news stories. Their attempts to reverse this are new stories. Over 200 million is spent in Ireland every year on games. Microsoft and Sony are huge companies. All 4 companies employ people in Ireland. Why should they get coverage?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Boggle

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Nokia and RIM's impending collapses ARE huge news stories. Their attempts to reverse this are new stories. Over 200 million is spent in Ireland every year on games. Microsoft and Sony are huge companies. All 4 companies employ people in Ireland. Why should they get coverage?
    Because there is far more important stuff to report on and that gets ignored because it isn't sexy enough.
    Simple as that.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    but the stories are not like the latest results from Cement Roadstone , to me its almost like product placement and creating a buzz about the next product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
    Even then when they talk about mobile applications they talk about iPhones specifically as they are a big brand rather than using the correct terminology.
    The F***book and Tw*tter brands are also regularly namechecked on RTE. But if a small business owner attempts a live on-air plug, he it usually shot-down by the presenter.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is genuine news, more-so than a lot of the trivia that is usually covered. The PS4 launch is on the front page of all the main news websites this morning. Apparently over 7.5 million viewers watched the announcement live last night. It's big technology news, which isn't interesting to many, but it's also big business news.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

RTE 1 TV also has a couple of hours of Teleshopping early every morning - Is my Licence payment every year not enough?
    Disclosures Tribunal - #OnlyForTheTape...