Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Parties Youth Sections

Politics.ie Member Darren J. Prior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Parties Youth Sections

I have to say that the calibre of lot all the parties youth members is worse than poor. They'd give a dog a bad name. I think that TD's and councillors and other party rep's. should sit down with a lot of their youth members and, if they are poor, start the process of encouraging them (because you can't just ask them to leave of course if they have done nothing wrong policy wise) to leave the parties. A lot of the parties youth members are only supporting their parties in a careerist way.

I am thinking, in particular, of Ógra Fianna Fáil and Young Fine Gael. Because Labour don't have a big (politically speaking, in an Irish context) youth section as do not Sinn Féin etc. I believe.

I am not trying to encourage good young party members to leave their parties merely, at least, accept that they have a problem and maybe, if possible, go about addressing it.

Chiefly, though, I want elected public representatives to "get" that most people don't "get" the same people. In the real world.*

* I know this is going to infuriate many posters on this site and I don't hold a great deal of hope in the capabilities of most of the young party members to understand me so it would be good at least if their public representatives got what I am talking about.

I admire many politicians in Ireland. However a lot of the parties youth members (the youngest of them can be understood of course) would help turn people like me interested in politics apolitical.

I will personally speaking continue to be interested in politics but the calibre of some politicians and many of their members is something that contributes to the disillusionment of politics. Whether you believe that there are a disproportionately higher number of poor calibre youth members in YFG and OFF in particular in comparison to the number of their poor calibre older members is something for each individual to decide.

I have let you know what I think, on this.

I would love to be proved wrong.
    Last edited by Darren J. Prior; 22nd February 2013 at 03:42 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Never ever trust a college politician. Bunch of twats.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sinn Fein's youth movement is one the largest in Ireland.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev408 View Post
    Sinn Fein's youth movement is one the largest in Ireland.
    Bunch of numpties.
    Сохранить Украины

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J. Prior View Post
    I have to say that the calibre of lot all the parties' youth members is worse than poor. They'd give a dog a bad name. I think that TD's and councillors and other party rep's. should sit down with a lot of their youth members and, if they are poor, start the process of encouraging them (because you can't just ask them to leave of course if they have done nothing wrong policy wise) to leave the parties. A lot of the parties' youth members are only supporting their parties in a careerist way.

I am thinking, in particular, of Ógra Fianna Fáil and Young Fine Gael. Because Labour don't have a big (politically speaking, in an Irish context) youth section as do not Sinn Féin etc. I believe.

I am not trying to encourage good young party members to leave their parties merely, at least, accept that they have a problem and maybe, if possible, go about addressing it.

Chiefly, though, I want elected public representatives to "get" that most people don't "get" the same people. In the real world.*

* I know this is going to infuriate many posters on this site and I don't hold a great deal of hope in the capabilities of most of the young party members to understand me so it would be good at least if their public representatives got what I am talking about.

I admire many politicians in Ireland. However a lot of the parties youth members (the youngest of them can be understood of course) would help turn people like me interested in politics apolitical.

I will personally speaking continue to be interested in politics but the calibre of some politicians and many of their members is something that contributes to the disillusionment of politics. Whether you believe that there are a disproportionately higher number of poor calibre youth members in YFG and OFF in particular in comparison to the number of their poor calibre older members is something for each individual to decide.

I have let you know what I think, on this.

I would love to be proved wrong.

D
    Not entirely sure what message you're trying to get across Darren. Some people do get a bad impression of parties by their TDs or maybe a rude canvasser but why must you target young party members? Did a young party member do something bad to you personally?

The calibre of the youth organisations in Ireland is actually high class. The debates held in various colleges are good to watch. Young Fine Gael have a very good organisation and are providing a good feeding ground for the senior party with the likes of Varadkar and Creighton. Ogra FF have had some very good people too come into the senior party and I know some of their current members and they aren't that bad. Ogra SF I've seen personally up close as I had a friend who was heavily involved with them and they are a very well organised bunch. They get huge numbers together for marches, trips and party related gatherings. They have quite a lot of socials which Young FG doesn't. Can't speak for Young Labour as I know nothing about them.

So there is hope for the young members of political parties Darren and they are our future. Dismiss them at your peril.
    I have closed down this account, I am now The Rahenyite.

I know some Labour Youth members - seem to spend a lot of time fighting with their Senior Party, but they are generally a fairly well informed and well intentioned group (compared to most Labour Party members that is!)

Google the so-called "Campaign for Labour Policies" - that seems to be a mostly LY-based operation so far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Never ever trust a college politician. Bunch of twats.
    Quote Originally Posted by drummed View Post
    Bunch of numpties.
    I agree with both of you, but the unfortunate reality is that a lot of them end up in the Dáil without ever having done anything except be a politician. One of the main reasons I think the age for a TD or any other elected office should be at least 30, get some life experience in the real world first.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Party Patriot View Post
    I agree with both of you, but the unfortunate reality is that a lot of them end up in the Dáil without ever having done anything except be a politician. One of the main reasons I think the age for a TD or any other elected office should be at least 30, get some life experience in the real world first.
    that still wont change the calibre of the politician. politicians and the youth politicians are parasites that feed off our fear and desperation. we will not have any new types of politicians until we break the mould that makes these parasites. Stop the entrance exam for getting into the Dail from being about lies and deceit and be about helping your country cause you care about it and not about the huge pay-off you get for lying thru your teeth. take away their money and most politicians in the Dail today would simply leave. Age means nothing.
    All men dream: but not equally. -T. E. Lawrence

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've encountered youth section of the 4 main parties and found it depressing all round. FF and FG are full of cloned wanabees who make it clear that their ambition is purely personal, want to go the council/Dáil route, they don't care what it takes.
    Labour's seems full of people who haven't gone beyond the 80's.
    I've met just a few of SF youth, strange combination, some hanker after the good old days ( before they were born ) of a bomb and a shooting every day, others would fit comfortably in FF.
    Wilde was right, wasted on the young.

Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The OP is why I avoided YFG in college. Some nice people, but as Tea party Patriot said, they need some life experience.

Valid points here. Lucinda is the embodiment of what is wrong with youth parties as a creche for TDs. In particular YFG are badly affected. Ditto the PDs when they were around.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast