Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 'You can keep your so-called workers,' US tyre mogul tells French minister

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 'You can keep your so-called workers,' US tyre mogul tells French minister

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaa........
    'You can keep your so-called workers,' US tyre mogul tells French minister | World news | guardian.co.uk

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaa...........

in his letter to the minister after the latter had suggested he might like to take over a Goodyear tyre production factory in the economically struggling industrial heartland of northern France, near Amiens.

"Do you think we're stupid?" Taylor wrote to Montebourg.

He did not hold back.

"I've visited this factory several times. The French workers are paid high wages but only work three hours. They have one hour for their lunch, they talk for three hours and they work for three hours. I said this directly to their union leaders; they replied that's the way it is in France.

"Sir, your letter suggests you would like to open discussions with Titan. You think we're that stupid? Titan has money and the know-how to produce tyres. What does the crazy union have? It has the French government. The French farmer wants cheap tyres. He doesn't care if those tyres come from China or India or if those tyres are subsidised."
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaa..............................

"Titan is going to buy Chinese or Indian tyres, pay less than €1 an hour to workers and export all the tyres that France needs," Taylor boasted. "In five years, Michelin won't be producing tyres in France.

"You can keep your so-called workers.

"Titan is not interested in the factory in North Amiens," concluded Michigan-born Taylor,
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaa........................

Asked about the letter on Wednesday, Montebourg refused to comment.

"I do not want to harm France's interests," he told journalists.
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..........................

Ok, now that I have stopped laughing, there is a deeper issue at stake here than just a chance to once again laugh at the lazy French and the ludicrous politicians. It raises lots of questions:

1. Are European workers lazy?

2. Are European workers competitive?

3. How do Europeans compete with the developing world?

4. How come some European countries are great at exporting and are able to compete industrially when others cant?

5. Is this more a story about one sector or is it systemic?

6. Does Europe need an "industrial policy", a more general competitiveness policy or something more?

7. Can the European economy become competitive without massive social unrest?

8. To what extent does the policy of bailouts help or hinder the situation?

9. Which has the greater role to play in getting Europe back on tract, the State or the private sector?

10. Why are the French such a bunch of lazy entitled wnkrs?
    Last edited by stopdoingstuff; 20th February 2013 at 02:45 PM.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The other side of the coin of course is the possibility that the French worker is right. I can't help noticing that they actually tend to make time for a culture and their contribution to global culture is pretty fair.

It may be that the notion that we all have to spend our lives on a hamster wheel of work so some obese drunk down at the golf club can order another round of gin and tonics is perhaps mistaken.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yanks turn up early and leave late. It's called presenteeism.
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    They also tend to move a lot slower. And require a combustion engine of some kind in which to do it.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LamportsEdge View Post
    The other side of the coin of course is the possibility that the French worker is right. I can't help noticing that they actually tend to make time for a culture and their contribution to global culture is pretty fair.

It may be that the notion that we all have to spend our lives on a hamster wheel of work so some obese drunk down at the golf club can order another round of gin and tonics is perhaps mistaken.
    I suppose the preferable scenario is a happy medium. Some European workers may work too little for good pay however the majority of Asian production workers work for too long for sh1te pay. Two wrongs do not make a right!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes american businessmen, possibly the stupidest people on the planet,

French: The Most Productive People In The World - Business Insider

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Laughing at people being made unemployed? Go f*** yourself you pathetic pr*ck.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seems a bit rich to me.

He might want to look closer to home

My experience in the US was that my American colleagues spent a lot of time in the office. Elapsed time, that is. A lot of that time was non-productive.

real eye-opener came on one trip when was to spend a week in the San Fran HQ. I arranged meetings covering the entire week. All of the invites for the Friday meetings were declined. All of them.

On the Friday I discovered why. Practically the entire office was "working from home".

Each hour, on the hour, I'd receive relies to mails I'd sent.

Hint: if you're pretending to work from home, check your mail at random intervals rather than on the hour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SeanieFitz View Post
    I suppose the preferable scenario is a happy medium. Some European workers may work too little for good pay however the majority of Asian production workers work for too long for sh1te pay. Two wrongs do not make a right!
    Agreed...

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is absolutely my experience.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast