Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Odious comparisons: why calorie counting makes little sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Odious comparisons: why calorie counting makes little sense.

Are you one of those people who checks the calorie content of different products before choosing which one to buy? If so, there is good news and bad news. The bad news is that your effort seems to have been largely pointless. The good news is that the best thing you can do is follow your instinct and go with what is the most natural and least-processed option.

The system by which different foodstuffs are rated for calorie content is hopelessly out of date. Scientists have known this for decades but no-one bothered to question it because it was thought that even if the hard figures made little sense, it was useful for comparison purposes.

Well, even that no longer holds true. The system was devised by an American scientist in the 19th century based on the energy released by burning different foodstuffs. Now, as I understand it, there is an inbuilt correction in the statistics to allow for the fact that we digest food rather than burning it. However, the chap in question assumed that cooking food didn't change anything. Wrong. Cooking can raise the amount of calories available to us - by 15% in the case of meat and 39% in the case of sweet potatoes.

Fibre is a good example of this. Cooking fibrous foods makes more calories available since it means the fibre is delivered to us in a more digestible form. Left uncooked (or cooked only lightly), our bodily microbes have to break it down for us and in the heel of the hunt, they use up a fair amount of the energy that could otherwise build up as extra kgs of fat.

So, the more processed food is, the badder it is. That's even before we get talking about additives, preservatives. But that's another story.

Calorie count system is well past sell-by date - The Irish Times - Tue, Feb 19, 2013
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Ramps

Do most men, excluding bodybuilders and alcoholics, actually consume 2,500 calories per day?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramps View Post
    Do most men, excluding bodybuilders and alcoholics, actually consume 2,500 calories per day?
    Far more I'd say, going by the mounds of flesh I see around town.

Dylan2010

shhh! there will be a black helicopter with marksmen sent by Weight Watchers to take you out presently. Sounds reasonble though. Also the whole calories in calories out paradigm is also now starting to be questioned as it doesnt tell you much about what different types of calories do to your body.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lost three stone a couple of years ago (from 16 to 13 stone over 12 months) and kept it off.

Paid zero attention to calories, just focused on reducing my carb intake (specifically white carbs) and did some exercise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    shhh! there will be a black helicopter with marksmen sent by Weight Watchers to take you out presently. Sounds reasonble though. Also the whole calories in calories out paradigm is also now starting to be questioned as it doesnt tell you much about what different types of calories do to your body.
    The whole food system stinks to the high heaven. You have these massive conglomerates who sell you fatty processed cr_p and then they sell you other processed cr_p to fix the problems caused by their fatty processed cr_p.

Solution: keep it natural. Don't buy any of their cr_p.

Ramps

Unless I'm way out on my calculations, the following 3 meals wouldn't give you more than 1,700-1,800 cal.

Porridge; brown bead and soup; potatoes, chops and two veg; and a few pieces of fruit.

That leaves plenty of room for a bar of chocolate, a packet of crisps, a latte, a sandwich in the evening, and whatever.

Wtf are people eating?!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Eat less, move more...

its that simple, folks

and you're dead right to point out that by eating less process foods, its better for your weight, and overall health.
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verhofstadt View Post
    Lost three stone a couple of years ago (from 16 to 13 stone over 12 months) and kept it off.

Paid zero attention to calories, just focused on reducing my carb intake (specifically white carbs) and did some exercise.
    White carbs are bad. I eat reasonable amount of brown bread and brown rice every day though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramps View Post
    Unless I'm way out on my calculations, the following 3 meals wouldn't give you more than 1,700-1,800 cal.

Porridge; brown bead and soup; potatoes, chops and two veg; and a few pieces of fruit.

That leaves plenty of room for a bar of chocolate, a packet of crisps, a latte, a sandwich in the evening, and whatever.

Wtf are people eating?!!
    depends on the portion sizes....some gourmet soups (thinking avoca or donnybrook fair) are loaded with cream.
    aside from that, i'd agree with your question....
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast