Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How should the deficit be dealt with?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How should the deficit be dealt with?

I`d like people to say how they would make the cuts, if at all, and why.
    Tax increases they would make, if any, and why.

If you believe we should run a keynesian deficit say how large and why - also what cuts/tax increases you would make.

I see & read alot of anti cuts posts here, on comments sections of news sites & on other web forums. Also alot of protests are against cuts. I`d like to hear more about what these people believe should be done.

Personally I believe that running a Keynesian deficit, while useful in normal recessions, will not work here. This is because in a normal recession output can be expected to return to previous levels. This recession is going to settle at a lower output level because the previous levels of output were caused by a bubble. Therefore cutbacks/tax increases need to be made to close most if not all of the gap.

Deficit spending for capital projects should be viewed separately. A simple formula for working out if a capital project should go ahead or not is if the % return on the money borrowed to pay for the project is higher than the % of interest payable on the sum then go ahead.

Clearly there are alot of hurt and angry people who will be personally affected by cuts and taxes but if we fail to act the problems will put us all in a worse position only further down the line.

Interested to hear others views...
    Irish Property/Finance/Economic Discussion Website:
    www.thepropertypin.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Honestly.......I would start with some panio wire and a lamp post........and work on from there
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

burn the banksters, address over/under paid PS workers, slash politicians wages exspenses and pensions, take a severe approach to welfare and who gets what, jail time for the corrupt (proper crap meals, and no tv's and sh.it), rebuild the health service from the bottom up on a who needs most urgent, nothing to do with ability to pay (everyone could pay into the one health scheme), scrap the revenue/motor chasing aspect of policing and hand proper crime back to the gardai, a seperate traffic warden style police force could be specifically set up for motor issues, these issues and others could be implemented by starting afresh, with no bank debt, proper taxes particularly for the wealthy, welfare been completely transformed, and much clearer precise accounting for public expenditure.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by controller View Post
    Honestly.......I would start with some panio wire and a lamp post........and work on from there
    +1. who'd ya do first? Gilmore would be near top of my list...

You know I've been pondering over what to reply to this thread with for at least ten minutes now. I planned to write something insightful or even (dare I say) thought-provoking within many paragraphs in the hope that some pleasant sole would have a gander over it and be intuitive and curious enough to research it on their own before coming to their own logical conclusion.

But then thankfully I came to my senses and realised that every gobshite poster the length and breath of the country would have already infested this thread with their hidden agenda, spin doctor, whataboutery bollox by morning that I wonder why those on here with even the most basic acuity even bother.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R3volution_R3ady View Post
    You know I've been pondering over what to reply to this thread with for at least ten minutes now. I planned to write something insightful or even (dare I say) thought-provoking within many paragraphs in the hope that some pleasant sole would have a gander over it and be intuitive and curious enough to research it on their own before coming to their own logical conclusion.

But then thankfully I came to my senses and realised that every gobshite poster the length and breath of the country would have already infested this thread with their hidden agenda, spin doctor, whataboutery bollox by morning that I wonder why those on here with even the most basic acuity even bother.
    This thread is 5 years and €90bn too late.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Con Gallagher View Post
    This thread is 5 years and €90bn too late.
    The same thread will be being started when the debt has gone up by 90 more. Assuming somebody somewhere agrees to fund Croke Park 2 etc.

Politics.ie Member Crazy horse 6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Until we see political and bankster folk swinging from trees or at least behind bars the country will never recover. Only then can we start the long road to recovery.

Politics.ie Member Crazy horse 6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fuque View Post
    burn the banksters, address over/under paid PS workers, slash politicians wages exspenses and pensions, take a severe approach to welfare and who gets what, jail time for the corrupt (proper crap meals, and no tv's and sh.it), rebuild the health service from the bottom up on a who needs most urgent, nothing to do with ability to pay (everyone could pay into the one health scheme), scrap the revenue/motor chasing aspect of policing and hand proper crime back to the gardai, a seperate traffic warden style police force could be specifically set up for motor issues, these issues and others could be implemented by starting afresh, with no bank debt, proper taxes particularly for the wealthy, welfare been completely transformed, and much clearer precise accounting for public expenditure.
    All this and more i agree with but we must start with justice and accountability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy horse 6 View Post
    Until we see political and bankster folk swinging from trees or at least behind bars the country will never recover. Only then can we start the long road to recovery.
    Good luck finding a lampost that'd support Harney's weight, you'd be as well using a crane off a ghost estate.
    I'd also include the sycophants in Independent Newspapers along with the politicians and bankers; servile, fawning parasites who obsequiously cheerleaded the whole charade.
    Last edited by Goa Tse; 20th February 2013 at 10:18 AM.
    'I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.' - Kurt Cobain

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast