Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iran : how it deals with it's rogue bankers

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Iran : how it deals with it's rogue bankers

The Supreme Leader of Iran has upheld the death sentence for 4 bankers and that several other bankers have been sentenced to life imprisonment in a $2.6m fraud.

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran's state prosecutor says the country's Supreme Court has upheld death sentences against four people linked to a $2.6 billion bank fraud described as the biggest financial swindle in Iran's history.

Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejehei says the four were convicted of being "corrupt on earth" for "disrupting" the country's economy. He says the court has ordered the verdict to be carried out but no date has been set.

Ejehei is quoted by the official IRNA news agency as saying that two banking officials have been sentenced to life in prison while 19 others, almost all of them senior government officials, were given prison terms ranging from 2 to 20 years. Their trial last year raised questions about corruption at senior levels in Iran's tightly controlled economy

Iran court upholds 4 death sentences over fraud - Yahoo! News

Ireland could do with similar legislation and sentencing policies.
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Politics.ie Member General Urko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And we are still doffing our caps to the tossers who caused a 65 billion plus interest issue, our grandchildren will have to finishing paying!
    I would not punish our lads with the death penalty but they have caused many to commit suicide and destroyed the lives of many others!
    Iceland has an ex Pm doing a bit of porridge and it's more than proper order!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Superficially, the Iranian solution is appealling, however this is also a country that hangs homosexuals and flogs victims of rape...I could be wrong about the last one though..suffice it to say, I don't think the Iranian justice system is a model to follow.

Politics.ie Member gombeennation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    The Supreme Leader of Iran has upheld the death sentence for 4 bankers and that several other bankers have been sentenced to life imprisonment in a $2.6m fraud.

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran's state prosecutor says the country's Supreme Court has upheld death sentences against four people linked to a $2.6 billion bank fraud described as the biggest financial swindle in Iran's history.

Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejehei says the four were convicted of being "corrupt on earth" for "disrupting" the country's economy. He says the court has ordered the verdict to be carried out but no date has been set.

Ejehei is quoted by the official IRNA news agency as saying that two banking officials have been sentenced to life in prison while 19 others, almost all of them senior government officials, were given prison terms ranging from 2 to 20 years. Their trial last year raised questions about corruption at senior levels in Iran's tightly controlled economy

Iran court upholds 4 death sentences over fraud - Yahoo! News

babarians.
    and a clear cut example of what would happen if we did the same.
    we would turn into iran - and start stoning gay people.
    is that what you want?
    is it?
    why dont you go an live there if you think its so great.
    iran fears risk taking entrepeneurs thats why they have this medievil justice system.

// this message was brought to you by the letters F,G and by the word Lab.
    // beaten to my third point in my post by "anewbeginning"
    Last edited by gombeennation; 20th February 2013 at 03:01 AM. Reason: anewbeginning got there before me
    "I really don't give a fiddlers if the truth has to be massaged a bit along the way." - someone explaining why its ok for Enda to lie.

Politics.ie Member Kevin Parlon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    Call me a limp-wristed liberal but I think the less we ape fascist theocracies the better.
    "It is amazing how many people think that they can answer an argument by attributing bad motives to those who disagree with them." - Thomas Sowell

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anewbeginning View Post
    Superficially, the Iranian solution is appealling, however this is also a country that hangs homosexuals and flogs victims of rape...I could be wrong about the last one though..suffice it to say, I don't think the Iranian justice system is a model to follow.
    Probably not a great idea when your economy depends heavily on foreign investment, either.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Parlon View Post
    Call me a limp-wristed liberal but I think the less we ape fascist theocracies the better.
    Limp-wristed liberal.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member gombeennation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    Probably not a great idea when your economy depends heavily on foreign investment, either.
    tru dat.
    ECB released a strong statement today about fingers and seanie.
    the gist of it was that if either of these saw jail they would immediately cut off da moneyz.

// im sick that i didnt include the foreign investment line in my first post
    "I really don't give a fiddlers if the truth has to be massaged a bit along the way." - someone explaining why its ok for Enda to lie.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Think again!
    “That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anewbeginning View Post
    Don't forget that it is legal to stone women in Iran but illegal to pick the wrong stone. Too big to kill her in one go or too small to do no damage.
    All men dream: but not equally. -T. E. Lawrence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast