Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troubled Girls homes in usa- worse than magdalene homes

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Troubled Girls homes in usa- worse than magdalene homes

There has been alot of talk about the magdalene homes on the media the past 2 weeks, It might surprise alot of irish people to know that there are homes for "troubled" teen girls alot worse than the magdalene homes up and running in the usa right now. I did some research into them a couple of years ago, If girls do something wrong in these home they have their panties pulled down and get paddled. Here is the websites of two of such homes i researched. MGGA Home . Camp Tracey

Politics.ie Member General Urko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There were Magdellan concentration camps in the USA run by eg the good shepherd sisters, this has been highlighted by Joe Duffy recently! The Nuns were not exclusively Irish, but many were and took their homesickness out on the inmates!
    They were run along the same lines as their concentration camps here!
    They also existed in Australia - same story!
    A bit shocking that 2 non theocratic states should have had them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sure look at the future, foreign grooming gangs are already getting ready to drug and pimp out the next generation of troubled young girls, put things into perspective, the problem of young wild vaginas will always be exploited, religious nutjobs, scum grooming paedophile gangs (I would vote for the death penalty in this case) and lastly state intervention ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Slavers are always waiting in the wings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Having spent literally hundreds of afternoons as a child in the 60’s and 70’s on family visits to a relative who was a nun in the Sean McDermott St Convent Laundry.. I have to say that I was completely shocked to hear reports about what supposedly went on behind the scenes. It certainly wasn’t apparent to me on visits to the Laundry that “the girls” as they were referred to then were deeply unhappy or kept there under duress. That’s not to say that they weren’t.. I don’t know.

On a typical weekend visit we were brought into the “parlour” which was a palatial room and while my parents were served tea and cakes and spent a few hours with the nuns, myself and my siblings had a free reign to explore the Convent, the Laundry and it’s magnificent gardens. I can remember well the steamy smell of the laundry and huge wicker laundry baskets that we would play hide and seek in. On Sunday afternoons, we would sit in a kind of auditorium with “the girls” watching Shirley Temple movies on an old Black and white TV propped up on a table on a kind of makeshift stage. The girls were particularly nice to us and they would give us sweets and chocolate as they sat knitting and embroidering around the TV. To me it all seemed happy cheery times and nothing ever suggested otherwise.. The only thing I can allude to from memory is that I never recall seeing any of “the girls” in any other parts of the Convent or in the magnificent gardens other than in the Laundry.. maybe they were confined to the Laundry and their living quarters. I also remember the vans with the men that came and went delivering and collecting those huge laundry baskets.

I remember clearly that Dickie Rock appeared and performed for the nuns and “the girls” one Sunday afternoon.. what I remember is the “spit on me Dickie” phrase and me old fella god rest him laughing all the way home and imitating Dickie…

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Magdalene homes were along time ago and Mcaleese found no proof that they used Corporal punishment, these american homes are open today and use corporal punishment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Zordan View Post
    , If girls do something wrong in these home they have their panties pulled down and get paddled.
    Nothing like a bit of old fashioned discipline now and again.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Magdalene homes were along time ago and Mcaleese found no proof that they used Corporal punishment, these american homes are open today and use corporal punishment.
    He did find proof. The inmates themselves - but he choose not to believe them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Urko View Post
    A bit shocking that 2 non theocratic states should have had them!
    The difference is that those countries didn't pay the compensation. The church and religious politicians in this country are happy for the tax payer (regardless of their religion) to pay the legal bills of rapist priests and sadistic nuns. That is the real meaning of the "special position" for the catholic church in Ireland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There has been alot of talk about the magdalene homes on the media the past 2 weeks, It might surprise alot of irish people to know that there are homes for "troubled" teen girls alot worse than the magdalene homes up and running in the usa right now. I did some research into them a couple of years ago, If girls do something wrong in these home they have their panties pulled down and get paddled. Here is the websites of two of such homes i researched. MGGA Home . Camp Tracey
    Corporal Punishment was only banned in Irish Schools in 1982 (too late for me!) and did not become a criminal offence until 1996, in the USA it is still legal in quite a few states. Read this wikipedia article on it.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast