Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin McAleese tarnished the Women of the Magdalene Launderies

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Martin McAleese tarnished the Women of the Magdalene Launderies

The more I look at the McAleese report the more I see what an utterly pathetic job Martin McAleese did. He utterly failed those women. He played down concerns such as beatings that many of the women are adamant took place.

Bruce Arnold spoke about this a while back.

Bruce Arnold: McAleese Report flies in the face of painful evidence of laundry victims - Independent.ie

Now I'm not sure why this was such a botched job. It might be his devout Catholicism or it just maybe he is incompetent and was out of his depth.

He wouldn't even present the report. Unbelievable! Left the Taoiseach in an almighty hole and which he took massive flack for.

Why hasn't this been mentioned by the Media?? I know he is married to the nearest thing the Irish Media have to a saint but is this a good enough reason for such a wretched job?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was never a bright idea to get a devout Catholic to draw up a report on Catholic orders.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marvar88 View Post
    The more I look at the McAleese report the more I see what an utterly pathetic job Martin McAleese did. He utterly failed those women. He played down concerns such as beatings that many of the women are adamant took place.

Bruce Arnold: McAleese Report flies in the face of painful evidence of laundry victims - Independent.ie

Now I'm not sure why this was such a botched job. It might be his devout Catholicism or it just maybe he is incompetent and was out of his depth.

He wouldn't even present the report. Unbelievable! Left the Taoiseach in an almighty hole and which he took massive flack for.

Why hasn't this been mentioned by the Media?? I know he is married to the nearest thing the Irish Media have to a saint but is this a good enough reason for such a wretched job?
    The remit was only to look at the role of the state?

But it is telling that the one time he chose to stray outside that remit he decided to publish claims that were in the Church's favour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It might be his devout Catholicism
    you answeared your own question
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Quote Originally Posted by johnny365 View Post
    It was never a bright idea to get a devout Catholic to draw up a report on Catholic orders.
    I have to say I thought at the time it was a masterstroke. The chance of getting wider society to accept the report when it comes from someone very devout is much greater. and surely what has happened in the last 24 hours backs this up? with regard to exact wording of report, no report is ever going to have the support of everyone.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Taoiseach f**ks up, lets blame someone else. Yes Marv.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    I sse, any apology from FF, they were in power for the majority of time these disgusting laundries were in existence?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    Genuine question. Do you think it is acceptable for the author of a report to not present it and thus not stand over it and take questions on it?

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnny365 View Post
    I sse, any apology from FF, they were in power for the majority of time these disgusting laundries were in existence?
    There was actually, Last week, MM apologised for not including them in previous reports.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Genuine question. Do you think it is acceptable for the author of a report to not present it and thus not stand over it and take questions on it?
    I don't know why he isn't and it would seem to me that there is more to that than meets the eye, whatever it is, it may not have anything to do with the report at all, but something happened for him to resign in the way he did.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast