Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A hypothetical alternative to the cutting of public-sector salaries and allowances.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A hypothetical alternative to the cutting of public-sector salaries and allowances.

'We are eating into our savings' - Independent.ie

STEPHEN McDonnell (40) and Annemarie McGuire (31), pictured below, are both staff nurses at a busy Dublin A&E who admit they are already struggling financially.
    "Nurses, guards, prison officers – everybody here is in the same boat," she added.

"Part of our work is that we have to provide 24-hour cover, Christmas Day, bank holidays, night duty.

"These allowances are a presumed part of our pay," said Stephen.

"Unfortunately they want to hit us rather than go after the bloated layer of middle management in the health service.

"We are seen as an easy target," he added.
    Instead of cutting salaries or allowances, the Government should propose the following deal to public-sector workers who have unsociable working-hours:

We will not cut your salaries or allowances if you support us in a plan to make the middle-managers of the health service redundant.

If IMPACT members, i.e. clerical workers, cleaners, porters, went on strike, then agency staff, hospital consultants' private practice clerical employees and Defence Forces personnel could be brought in to fill the gap. Therefore, medical and nursing personnel could carry on with their duties.

I believe that doctors, nurses, paramedics, firefighters, gardaí and prison officers would be happy to co-operate with the Government in a plan to save money by reducing bureaucracy, thus protecting the front-line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You cannot run something as complex as a hospital without administrators.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    Imagine trying to schedule an operation without a manager?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    Anyone who can read, write and is computer-literate can do hospital administration.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    Anyone who can read, write and is computer-literate can do hospital administration.
    Is binn béal ina thost - quit while you're ahead

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Imagine trying to schedule an operation without a manager?
    I agree, but as someone who has spent months at a time in hospital over the last few years, an interested observer can soon pick up solid clues that many hospitals are over administered and under nursed.
    Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.

Politics.ie Member Ernesto Guevara's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like it.

A sandwich is still a sandwich without the mayo.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I cannot understand why the 24/7 Alliance will not criticise the unions that represent surplus HSE bureaucrats. My hypothesis is workable. After all, it worked in Britain in the 1980s.

Divide and conquer....why not? It's worked before.

I am wholly behind protecting front line workers and hitting the fat, the middle 'management' and admin, with the old industrial Lyposuction 2000.

And cut salaries over €45k on a graduated basis.

As for the 'work to rule' cohort how about 'get another job' where you think you'll get more favourable terms and conditions?

Seemingly the private sector is a limitless abyss of overpaid opportunity with security of employment and golden pension pot payoffs to be had at every turn. In fact Every Private sector worker is ENTITLED, no less, to such beautifully lovely treatment
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    Divide and conquer....why not? It's worked before.
    It's not a case of "divide and conquer". It's a case of cutting bureaucracy so that the front-line doesn't have to be cut.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast