Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Mickey Harte: Loyalty before empathy?

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mickey Harte: Loyalty before empathy?

We all know of the tragic and still unsolved murder of Michaela Harte, daughter of Tyrone manager Mickey Harte.

Her death at the hands of person or persons unknown carried with it the fears of many women, who find themselves at the mercy of physically stronger men and the terrible consequences that can occur when those men are drunk or aggressive in their approach to those women. It is a frightening thought that is sometimes given real shape for some women who occasionally pay with their lives.

All the more surprising to see that Mickey Harte has chosen to provide a character reference for a man who admits sexually assaulting a woman, while intoxicated, and leaving her half naked on the side of the road.

Ronan McCusker (27), from Ballygillen Road in Cookstown, Co Tyrone, pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting the 47-year-old woman after he had met her in a bar. He also pleaded guilty to taking his father's van without his authority, driving while disqualified and driving without insurance. Those offences also happened on June 28, 2010.

Defence barrister Brian McCartney told a judge the defendant "comes from a highly regarded family in mid-Ulster who are widely known within the GAA".
    It appears to be a case of loyalty to a prominent GAA family before loyalty to women in general, surprising given what happened to his poor daughter, but that's just my view.

Tyrone boss Harte gives reference for sex attacker - Independent.ie
    Last edited by Astral Peaks; 19th February 2013 at 12:00 PM.
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doesn't Enda' nephew come from a highly respected family?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have defended Harte on other matters, but that is inexcusable. He seems incapable of saying no to anyone looking for his assistance. Your boy sounds like a total toerag and deserves a nice long holiday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greengoose2 View Post
    Doesn't Enda' nephew come from a highly respected family?
    What has that got to do with this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seanie Lemass View Post
    I have defended Harte on other matters, but that is inexcusable. He seems incapable of saying no to anyone looking for his assistance. Your boy sounds like a total toerag and deserves a nice long holiday.
    I have a 16 year old daughter, if God forbid anything happened to her like this I know for a fact that no matter how close I might be to another family, I could never do as he has done.

I wouldn't be able to ever look my daughter in the eye again.....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Peaks View Post
    I have a 16 year old daughter, if God forbid anything happened to her like this I know for a fact that no matter how close I might be to another family, I could never do as he has done.

I wouldn't be able to ever look my daughter in the eye again.....
    Same as that.

In fairness to him, he has publically asociated himself with several characters that I don't actual imagine he personally would have much time for. Most recently the chap who murdered his father and got bail for the funeral.

However, I would have major issue with anyone going character witness for the likes of this yoke, with the clear intention of getting him a reduced sentence. Fair enough he is the face of Tyrone GAA but he also has a wider obligation.

And the victim's family are also prominent GAA people so what sort of message is he giving them?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It appears to be a case of loyalty to a prominent GAA family before loyalty to women in general, surprising given what happened to his poor daughter, but that's just my view.
    After what he went through with his daughter and you write that. Disgraceful comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What has that got to do with this?

Perspective!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We all know of the tragic and still unsolved murder of Michaela Harte, daughter of Tyrone manager Mickey Harte.

Her death at the hands of person or persons unknown carried with it the fears of many women, who find themselves at the mercy of physically stronger men and the terrible consequences that can occur when those men are drunk or aggressive in their approach to those women. It is a frightening thought that is sometimes given real shape for some women who occasionally pay with their lives.

All the more surprising to see that Mickey Harte has chosen to provide a character reference for a man who admits sexually assaulting a woman, while intoxicated, and leaving her half naked on the side of the road.

Tyrone boss Harte gives reference for sex attacker - Independent.ie
    What would you expect from someone shared a platform with the Quinns? He's all of one piece.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The poor fellow is Dennis O'Brien without the money- every chancer in the country turns to him as a last resort.

Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast